IARU results SL0CB and SM4GNU

Subject: IARU results SL0CB and SM4GNU
From: utho@sebank.se (ULF THORSTENSSON, + 46 8 639 3052)
Date: Tue Jul 18 11:23:26 1995
Hi,
to late results:

SLOCB, Single Op CW, operated by SM0TXT
1736 qso, 179 mult (102 zones 77 hq's) = 1.097.807

SM4GNU, Single Op SSB+CW
1505 qso, 160 mult (98 xones 62 hq's) = 800.567

73

/Ulf, SM0GNU

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: New RUFZ program now available

Hi all

I finally received the most recent "RUFZ" progrm from the
author Mathias DL4MM(ex DL3DZZ, Y33UL).
Former version did not care the CPU speed/processing ability,
so if you run it on Pentium 90Mhz RUFZ generates 100wpm code!

This new version (2.12e 07/02 '95) set the code speed by PARIS
system and start with the code speed 100characters/min on any
computer.

I archived and packed 6files into RUFZ.ZIP(61KB) then uuencoded
to RUFZ-ZIP.UUE(85KB).

You can get it now by the following process;
Send an email to
info-contest@dumpty.nal.go.jp
with the message
#get rufz-zip.uue

This file is totally free program, you can distribute it in
any ways (ftp, http or fdd to you friends).
If you put it at any ftp/http site, please follow up that
informations.

I love it and sure you'll love it too.

        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        TEL:81-30-066-6408, FAX:81-423-93-4449
        Internet: je1cka@nal.go.jp

From: Rick Niswander <AONISWAN@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU> (Rick Niswander)
Subject: Which Vertical

     A while back I asked what people thought about an R-7/R-5 or a
Butternut vertical for kicking around the bands at home.  Well, the
question got a ton of responses.  Listed below are the respondees and some
specific observations noted by a number of you.  Bottom line is that
the R-7/R-5 are good antennas which go up with a minimum of fuss and
perform reasonably well, given that they are shortened.  I ordered a
R-5.  While I am waiting, I put up a 135 foot center fed with ladder
line.  First Q was the 5A on 40 cw.  Maybe I should cancel the vertical.....

     Thanks for responses to: N6IPE, AK0M, K1TN, W9WU, N4OGW, AA4V, KC5DVT,
KM9P, N6AZE, W0UN, AA6KX, W4ZYT, N2MZH, K2MM, N4OO, WU1F, K4IQJ, AI7B, GM0ILB,
WA9WYB, VE6SH, VS6BG, N7IRR, WA6CTA, AE0M, AC1O, WA7BNM, ON6TT, OH2BZY,
V73C, K8CV, W7LZP, K8DO, WX0B, K5ED, KD5PJ, AA6RX, K1VR, N5CT, W6XR, WQ5G,
N6XI, K8JLF, VE7TCP, NI6T, KE6FV.  Whew!  That's 46 responses.

General comments:
     Those who had compared the R-7 vs the Butternut generally found the
R-7 to be be slightly better.  Mechanically the R-7 is better.  Those
who liked the Butternut better usually stated the narrow 40 (and 20)ndwid
meter bandwidth as the big negative of the R-7.  Generally, those who liked
the R-7 were very positive and those who liked the Butternut were more
lukewarm.
     Positive comments on the R-7 included:  mechanically good; easy to
install; don't have to mess with radials.
     Negative comments on the R-7 were:  Narrow 40 meter bandwidth and
somewhat narrow 20 meter bandwidth; the traps are notorious for blowing
out with less than the legal limit; even though the antenna does not require
guys it is recommended that fishing line or similar be used to take the
sway out to protect the mount; make sure you use penetrox when assembling
(I gather it is not provided...I know Lowe's carries such in their electrical
section).
     Other comments:
  ***Either vertical works better if you can get it up in the air.  This
       is obviously much easier to do with the R-7 since it has a
       counterpoise.
  ***A big issue raised by some with experience (particularly OH2BZY,
       K5ED, and NI6T) is that the ground conductivity has as much to
       do with the decision on which antenna as anything.  If you have
       a poor ground (such as the sands of eastern North Carolina) use
       a dipole.  With good ground, a vertical will do well.
  ***Some mentioned that an R-5 would be better (with a dipole or such
       for 40 and 80).  The R-5 has better bandwidth on 20 than the
       R-7.

     Thanks for all the comments.  I can provide further detail on some
of the topics if someone wishes.  Drop me a direct e-mail.

                       Rick, K7GM
                       aoniswan@ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu