"Is the frequency in use?" or "QRL?"

Subject: "Is the frequency in use?" or "QRL?"
From: DFM4%GsvCom%EbrCenOak@bangate.pge.com (DFM4%GsvCom%EbrCenOak@bangate.pge.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 09:05:01 1995
Here is the counterpart to QRL?

QDR = Damn Right the Frequency is in use!!!

QDR? = Do You Have a Receiver???

                             ;)

Don
N 6 I Produce Electrons
----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:"Ronald D. Rossi" <rrossi@VNET.IBM.COM>
 In a previous message, Fred Laun wrote:
>      .
>      .
>      .
>Chalk me up as being against the use of "QRL?" or "Is the frequency
>in use?" in contests.
>
>When I started contesting 43 years ago, the procedure was unknown,
>and I can't see that anything in the intervening years has made it
>any more useful now than it would have been then.
>
>Here are my reasons:
>
>1.  IT'S ILLEGAL IN THE USA
>
>Unless the station sending "QRL?" also signs his call immediately,
>he has made an illegal transmission.  FCC Part 97.119 (a) clearly
>says:  "Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand
>station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting
>channel at the end of each communication, and at least every ten
>minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making
>the source of the transmissions from the station known to those
>receiving the transmissions.  No station may transmit unidentified
>communications or signals..."

I am not clear about what constitutes a channel in HF communications.
Part 97 is not clear about it either.  There is reference regarding
frequency coordination where Tx/Rx channels are prescribed.  In any
case each transmission need not be IDed only each communication.
I tend to QRL? and "Is frequency in use" (sometimes in a southern
drawl to draw out the good old boys that have too much fun messin'
with us Yankees!).

>      .
>      .
>      .
>2.  IT PUTS A STATION WHO IS ALREADY USING THE FREQUENCY IN A
>DILEMMA:
>      .
>      .
>      .

I guess I miss the point here.  I am on a countdown to being heavily
QRMed (maybe) if I don't respond anyway.  A matter of timing for sure.

>      .
>      .
>      .
>3.  THE PROCEDURE IS USED AS A CRUTCH BY OPERATORS WHO ARE NOT
>SKILLED IN OPERATING IN "HEAVY TRAFFIC."
>      .
>      .
>      .

Sure!  One of the tools maybe.  I agree with your assessment that
radiosport is competitive and you need to be good at receiving
as well as sending.  Neighboring QRM is one of the challenges and
frustrations of the sport.  My Omni-D and me do a good job of picking
out the weak ones off the wakes of the big guns.  Makes my ears ring,
but I love it!

73 de N1PBT...Ron  (rrossi@vnet.ibm.com) ><>