What's a dbworth

Subject: What's a dbworth
From: k0od@MO.NET (k0od@MO.NET)
Date: Tue Aug 8 21:18:43 1995
Recently I wrote that increasing a station's ERP one db might add 10% to
its DX contest score. Several replies indicated 10% seemed a bit
overstated. The last time I looked at this subject was a few years ago.
Today, I took a look at some recent CQWW CW results by power level. Here
are scores from the 1993 contest which are fairly typical of CQWW CW

            Highest QRP score (AA2U).................   763,000
            Second highest low power score (K2SG).... 1,845,000
            Third highest high power score (K5ZD/1).. 5,569,000

 Notice the big difference between low power and high power scores. It
seems the advantage of an extra db actually increases at higher power
levels. Moral: If you are currently really loud, getting even louder is
well worth the effort. Or, life is too short for 100 watts, too.
       Jeff K0OD  St. Louis, MO  USA
            e-mail:   k0od@mo.net