From: ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM (ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 9 14:54:16 1995
I would like some info on the preferred method for activating
the PTT on an Icom 737 and a TS 450 SAT so that my hands would
be free to enter calls/exchanges in my CONTEST software.

Thanks in advance,

73  KC5DVT   Wayne     email...ehayes@vnet.ibm.com
Austin, Texas

From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)
Subject: What's a dbworth

As we found out in the WRTC held in Seattle in 1990, the station really
didn't make the big difference...the operator did.  As long as you're
within a broad class of capabilities, operator skill and Lady Luck will
carry the day every time.  Ya makes yer own db, I guess.

Life's too short! (as Jerry Garcia found out today...)

73, Ward N0AX

From: John Boudreau <ve8ev@gov.nt.ca> (John Boudreau)
Subject: To Move or Not To Move

To move or not to move...

I get asked to move ALOT in contests.  The only problem is that nine
times out of ten I don't have propagation on the other band.  Unless
I really need the mult and figure there is at least a chance of making
it I usually just say "I'll be on XXm at YYYYz.  Give me call if you hear
me."  If I say that I will be on a different band later I usually make
every effort to be there but if its a dead band I don't hang around too
long talking to myself.  At the very least giving them an idea of when
to look is more polite than just saying "no".

John - VE8EV

John Boudreau VE8EV     INTERNET: ve8ev@amsat.org

From: Keith Morehouse-WB9TIY <blckhole@ripco.com> (Keith Morehouse-WB9TIY)

Running Big Rate ???  Move ???  Yeah, right....QRZ TEST

Running nobody ???  Move ???  YOU BET !

PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
Keith J. Morehouse / WB9TIY / Society of Midwest Contesters
708-696-2828  FAX: 708-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com

From: Marijan Miletic <s56a@ljutcp.hamradio.si> (Marijan Miletic)
Subject: S5 EUHFC scores

Hi Contesters,

As NAQP results are still pouring in, let me announce some S5
scores in EU HF Champ last weekend.  OH1EH/OH0 has over 1200
QSO in 12 hours of inter-EU exchanges.  No clash with NAQP as
EU moved to lower bands.  I hereby certify that W8VAC from MI
is in my log after staying on my freq for a LONG time :-)
CONDX were good with nice Scandinavian opening at 28 MHz BUT
one hour before contest started.  Lower bands were noisy as
expected in August.

S57AD 469  922  210 193.620   CW
S59AA 596 1192  232 276.544   CW
S56A  770  770  250 192.500  SSB
S59A  736 1175  271 318.425  MIX

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU.

From: peterj@netcom.com (Peter Jennings) (Peter Jennings)
Subject: LPT1 port control

> I'd like to turn on and turn off a pin on my PC parallel port (e.g. LPT1) to
> control a particular station function.  Any PC C programmers have a
> quick/dirty approach to this?
> 73, Kevin NC6U

In C:

outportb( 0x378, 1<<n);  // will set port bit n assuming your port is at
                         // 0x378 (usually LPT1)  (0x278 is usually LPT2)

The DB25 port bits are:

    Pin     n

    2       0
    3       1
    4       2
    5       3
    6       4
    7       5
    8       6
    9       7

  18-25    GND

An optoisolator is a good idea.

In BASIC, the same thing is   OUT 888,2^N

Peter  AB6WM

--                                                peterj@netcom.com

  Stereograms - Shareware - Amateur Radio - WWW Camera Map

From: Ken Silverman" <ken.silverman@CCMAIL.AirTouch.COM (Ken Silverman)

A lot of people seem to forget about the timing of a move:

Knowing who is going to be there for the long haul is important. If
you work someone who isnt typically on for a contest, an immediate
move might be a good thing to try he/she may not be there later on.
If the station is usually on for contests, it may be better to wait
until things slow down a bit before you make the request.

Knowing propagation is also key to a successful move.  Its a waste of
peoples time if you try and move someone if there is obviously no
propagation, and you haven't checked it out.  I feel it is the
responsibility of the asking party to have checked out the band condx
before asking me to move...

During the CQ WW CW, I am usually in some DX land doing a M/S.  So
knowing the category of the station will also help in a successful
move.  For those of you who forgot, M/S is constrained by the 10
minute rule, so even I wanted to move for you, I couldn't.

My philosophy is if you don't ask, you don't get.  But knowing when to
ask will go a long way.

Ken WM2C

From: Will Sill <will@epix.net> (Will Sill)

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:

> I would like some info on the preferred method for activating
> the PTT on an Icom 737 and a TS 450 SAT so that my hands would
> be free to enter calls/exchanges in my CONTEST software.

I will prolly be the umpteeth to say so but a footswitch is available
from HRO and plenty other places. Love it, tho I hadda fix a way to keep
mine from walking away from my big foot!

will@epix.net - KD3XR - W F Sill, Tunkhannock, PA