Crankups and Rotating 55

Subject: Crankups and Rotating 55
From: W7NI@delphi.com (W7NI@delphi.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 15:44:27 1995
First, I would like to say that the worst crankup horror story I ever heard

was told to me by KL7RA.  It was a true, personal experience of his and

I would like to encourage him to share it with all of us on this reflector.

It is his experience and his story and I think there are several very

valuable lessons for all of us in it.  He has to tell it and not me since

that is the best way to get it accurate and it is possible he doesn't

even want to talk about it again so unless Rich is convinced to tell it,

it ends right here.

Second, K0SF has asked about insulated Rohn 55 and KM9P said he

had some big insulators.  I do too and I am willing to sell a few of them.

My insulators were part of a Bonneville Power substation and were used

to support heavy stuff.  I weighed the heaviest one and it is 120 pounds

with smaller ones weighing in as low as 50 pounds with several sizes in

between.  They are all about 16 inches high and vary in diameter up to

18 inches for the big ones.

Here is a description of the largest ones.  The bottom is a flat faced

cast steel flange with a 10 inch diameter hole pattern for 8 bolts that

are 5/8 inch in diameter.  With care, this could be mounted to a

buried concrete block to serve as a tower base with 8 threaded studs

protruding from the concrete.  I have similar insulators with different

hole patterns.  The top is also flat faced and has a 4-bolt threaded

hole pattern  arranged in a square that is about 4.25 inches on a side.

The top threaded holes appear to be for 3/4 inch bolts.  You could

interface a tower to this flat face without welding to it.  These instualtors

look strong enough to support many tons of weight.

What I wonder about is whether they are any good at all for rotator

torque.  I envision a big bearing and the insulator at the base of the

tower.  The roator would be ground mounted and a chain drive would

connect the rotator to the tower.  If the chain drive is attached below

the insulator, the insulator has to take all of the torque.  If the chain

drive is attached above the insulator, you have to somehow insulate

the rotator or you reground the tower through the rotator eliminating

the effect of an insulated tower.  Someone may have already worked

out a good scheme to take care of this, but I have not seen it.

The insulators were manufactured by NGK of Japan and have

several identifying numbers on them.  Maybe they are specified for

torque.  If you are interested, I could take a couple of Polaroid

pictures and provide you with the idenifying numbers so you can

do some research.

It is a little tricky to ship these safely since they are breakable and

damn heavy but the guy across the street is handy with wood and

can build a custom box out of two by fours and plywood that I

am sure could get them to you in one piece.

I would be happy with $50 for one of these beasts plus freight

plus a few bucks for wood packing materials and labor for my

neighbor to build a box.

By the way, I have sold a bunch of these already to guys who plan

to build four sqares for 80 or 160.  No torque problems with those.

Stan "W7NI@delphi.com"