DSP Radios

Subject: DSP Radios
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 19:51:00 1995

Agree to a point that someone will figure out how to cheaply produce "ham
radio on a card", but I don't think power outputs will ever exceed the QRP
levels.  Ultimately, the driver is going to be overall system cost.

Right now a substantial monetary (and kinetic!) cost exists in a contest
superstation between the bulkhead and the antenna arrays.  When ten runs of
Heliax, numerous rotor and control cables, and countless RF connectors can be
replaced by a single fiber optic cable to a remoted transceiver or
transceivers located at the antenna (or at the base of the antenna), I think
that economics will prevail.  (Maybe economics has never prevailed in this

I see a future ham shack with two computers, one controlling station
operation and logging, with the other managing the status of a flexible
equipment pool that can be tasked dynamically by the operator.

Outside-of-the-box (the shack) thoughts from a small pistol!

Paul, KB8N

From: Rob Shapiro <ND3A@cais.cais.com> (Rob Shapiro)
Subject: contest writeup; CQ

From: Douglas S. Zwiebel" <0006489207@mcimail.com (Douglas S. Zwiebel)
Subject: NV6O & N9ZOH

And I thought NINE TWO NINE TWO for N2NT was best there was....
WOW Eric...took me 12 seconds, but I love it! (You're tricky non-spacing
was very devious).

Hey Guys...how do you like those new ACTIVE ZONE boxes in the writeup?
You zone 3 and 4 guys can get some respect now.

de Doug  KR2Q@mcimail.com