Assisted/Internet

Subject: Assisted/Internet
From: WD5N%mimi@magic.itg.ti.com (WD5N%mimi@magic.itg.ti.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 16:27:36 1995
From: wd5n@msg.ti.com

Subject: re: Assisted/Internet

Well, I wasn't gonna jump in this fray, but seems like some people
are getting confused.  And as those who know me can attest, I may
not always be right, but I am never wrong.  note>>>>  :-)   <<<note

Seems obvious that the rule which says non-amateur means must not
be used to "elicit" contacts means (as someone else mentioned)
that you shouldn't call your buddy up on the phone and ask him to
work you.  The rules also state that this is not allowed "during"
(they use bold letters) the contest, which indicates that you can
send e-mail, phone calls, telegrams, etc BEFORE the contest to urge
folks to work you.  The rules also define "assisted" as "use of DX
spotting nets is allowed" with no limits stated on what constitutes
a net. Now, the packetcluster network in Texas has almost always
included a landline link between some of the cities (this is part
of the Texnet link system used to link Texas sites together, the
use of which has been generously granted for packetcluster use).
Some clusters use hf links to link nodes from all over the country.
Others use Internet.  It ends up being somewhat of an equalizer as
far as spotting goes, as there are many parts of the country that
do not have access to the bigger cluster networks on either coast.
Whether or not the spots from afar are useful to you or not makes
no difference to the legality of it.

Someone mentioned calling our CAC reps and discussing this. Well,
CAC is an ARRL function, and weren't we first discussing CQ contests?
I know that Field Day rules state something similar, but they say
you may not "solicit" (instead of "elicit") contacts by non-amateur
means, with the same intention.

Now, the rules did allow people to spot themselves on the clusters
as a means to "elicit" contacts by amateur means, but CQ decided
that was not proper so they recently wrote into the rules that this
is not allowed.  On the other hand, if you work someone on the air
in the contest, you can certainly ask them to spot you on their
cluster.  Whether or not they do so is up to them.

None of what I have mentioned seems to me to be bending the rules
or using "creative" interpretation.  Seems very straightforward to me.
So, bottom line in my mind is that using an internet connection to
access cluster information is A-OK in the Assisted category.  They
merely have more technology at their disposal.  Some people may still
be using voice spotting because they don't have access to cluster
technology.  If people disagree on the interpretation then I suggest
contacting CQ magazine.  On the other hand, if people agree on the
interpretation but disagree on the "spirit" or "ethics" of this rule,
then perhaps this is the forum to hash it out to see what contesters
think is best.

  73 (and please work me as WP2AHW [unless vanities come thru first]
     in CQWW-CW)    :-)
                        Dave  WD5Nifty    <wd5n@msg.ti.com>