NV6O Sprint

Subject: NV6O Sprint
From: EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM (EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 11 11:44:55 1995
I don't know what to say....

I went to Danny Hayes' AA6LB  place just south of Sacramento and used
his SUPER set-up and improved about negative 20 q's.

FT-1000 DSP (ESP?)
Alpha 87A
DX engr LPA   20 ant #1 (70 deg to NNJ)
Ham-pro 4 el  20 ant #2 (north to VE and W7)
3 el on 40 (I forgot to ask)
4 square on 80 (wow!  irrigation tubing 64 ft high, many radials)

This station is set up for dx-ing so quick band changes were hard.  His
NA version 8.? does not control the "Y" radio and he has a dunestar
multiband passband filter in series with the FT-1000 output - again, not
computer or radio controlled.  Antenna switching also manual.

So Trey, when you asked me to qsy to 7.060 to get that q, you know why I
wasn't there when you were.  I heard you, but I had eighteen more
switches to throw.  Reminds of the old Heathkit Apache and Mohawk.

"put the receiver in standby, switch the knife switch, hit the xmt
switch"

Started out at 75+ rate on 20, thought it was my turn.  20 went bye-bye,
40 not ready yet.  Damn!

Since I was really rested this time before the contest, my concentration
was at a place where I was more easily understanding the point of
progress of a q that I came across.  In other words, I spent too much
time trying to figure out what was gg on, rather than immediately
jumping to a  clear(?) freq and hitting f1.  That'll teach me.

N4BO curse struck again....

Was working some guy who insisted that I was in 4 land, I gave him the
multi dit 6 -..........   .   Heard in the background were 3 stations
sending .... ..  .   I giggled about that for hours.

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
      80         61         61
      40         75         75
      20         78         78
     TOTAL      214        214   X   40 multipliers  =  8,560

I got wise a little late in the De* game, and asked for fills on all of
the D names about half-way through.  Don't know if it made any
difference.

Again,  what super operators you all are.  One of these days I hope to
join you.

Eric, NV6O (not KE6URB)
edwoods@pacbell.com