Cryogenic radio?

Subject: Cryogenic radio?
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 15:48:55 1995
This is not new... I have had for years an audio filter which uses injection
of white noise to enhance weak signals... seems to work...

From: sfraasch@ATK.COM (Steve Fraasch) (Steve Fraasch)
Subject: K0SF CUP: Anyone know an Ornithologist ?

My city and I (misery loves company) are being sued to keep
my 130' 55G tower down.

The MPLS gang: K0KX, K0TT, W0KZV, WB0HRX,
N0CBS and I blasted 100' up this past weekend.

The judge hearing the case Friday would not grant plaintiff's request for
a temporary restraining order.

Interestingly, not one neighbor noticed (before I told them) that the tower
was up.  In fact, my next door neighbor, Jack, (who's been
extremely supportive thru the whole thing) didn't know the tower was up
until Wendesday morning when he walked into my driveway, asking:
"So Steve, are you still going to put the tower up ?" I had to point to the
tower before he even saw it.  I love it.

I've heard that K3EST and N6AA are "birders."  Leads to these guys would
certainly help.

Also, I would certainly appreciate hearing back from anyone that knows of an
ornithologist whom I could seek for advice and/or help.

This matter has been only too well-printed and well-read in MPLS papers and
radio.

I think Jay and I have been winning the PR battle, at least to the extent of
gaining
sympathy.  Of the 30 or so phone calls I've received, not one has been
negative.

Yet, the opposition's deep pockets makes this a tough fight.  That in of
itself does
not make the challenge impossible.  Justice only for the rich?
Maybe, but I won't conclude that until this is over.

73,

Thanks for all of the support,

Steve Fraasch, K0SF

sfraasch@atk.com

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)

        This is not new... I have had for years an audio filter which
        uses injection of white noise to enhance weak signals... seems
        to work...

Is this just a physiological thing, or something more quantifiable?
Astronomers used to 'pre-flash' photographic plates by exposing them
to a burst of low light level before making a long (hour or so)
exposure, but that's because of the non-linear response of the
emulsion to light, so there's a sort of threshold effect and you don't
want to waste starlight in getting past that point.

Derek AA5BT, G3NMX
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu