CQP from Trinity/Shasta

Subject: CQP from Trinity/Shasta
From: AA6KX@aol.com (AA6KX@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 10:30:07 1995
Conditions were terrible, but I will gladly admit to having had one of my
best contesting adventures ever during this year's CQP.  Last July 4th I
stumbled onto a little logging road that went up to a ridgeline at 4811'
right on the county line between Trinity and Shasta counties.  From that
ridgeline I could look north to Mt. Shasta, east to Lassen Peak, and west to
the Trinity Alps.  This is absolutely some of the most gorgeous scenery I
have seen anywhere in the U.S.  I decided that weekend that this was my CQP
site for 1995.

When the sun came up last Wednesday I was out on that ridgeline with my
trusty wrist rocket putting monofilament in the tops of the trees.  By Friday
afternoon, I had:
(a) full size 160m dipole up about 70', fed with ladder line;
(b) 2 element wire beam on 40, facing east, up about 50';
(c) simple 40m dipole facing N/S, up about 50' (along the "boom" of the
beam);
(d) Force 12 C3 up 50', on a rotator.
While this does not constitute an awesome contest station, remember that it
was put up by one person, alone, in a couple of days.  The beam was about 10'
inside Shasta county and the wires crossed into both counties.  There was a
USGS marker up there, so I know exactly where the county line was.  Power
came from a Generac 5000w generator, and I could put about 800w out from my
Alpha before the line voltage would drop enough to cause the Alpha to fault
off-line.

Final Results:
       CW   SSB
160    22    26
 80   141   147
 40   171    76
 20   238   503
 15    73   131
 10    Zip
Tot:  645   883    x Sweep = 214,658

Thanks to all for the many QSOs.  It was a blast.  One of these days I've
just got to go see what the setup at NB1B is--he had the loudest signal on
the band, on ALL bands!

One surprising (to me) lesson learned during this experience:  40m dipole at
70' does better than 40m beam at 50', even on the edge of a steep drop-off.
 In ways, this is discouraging, since I'm not allowed to go above 30' at my
home QTH.  There just is no substitute for height!

The weather was absolutely perfect--in the 40's at night and up to the mid
80's in the day.  The only problem I had was that I had trouble sleeping due
of the bright light from the full moon.

I was located right off what I thought was an isolated old logging road, but
it turns out this road was well known to all the local deer hunters.  By the
way, this is deer season out here.  I got some strange looks from the hunters
going down the road, and one bunch stopped, came over, and demanded to know
what the significance of this here antenna was all about.  My beam was
mounted on an old U.S. Army crank-up mast, and I'm sure I looked to them like
a gummit plot of some kind.  Ruby Ridge is just a couple of hollers away,
remember.  I assured them I had nothing to do with the gummit and they
decided I just might be OK.

Having travelled all around the northern half of California, I am absolutely
convinced that Trinity County has the most spectacular scenery in the state.
 You just have to see it to believe it.  It was an awesome experience sitting
on that ridgeline doing a contest while gazing out over the Alps.

Bruce, AA6KX