Tower Surgery

Subject: Tower Surgery
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 17:36:26 1995
Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9, wrote:

>A while back there was some discussion on this reflector about how to
>install a 24 foot mast on top of a tower which was already erected.
>Yesterday, I and an unnamed coconspirator tried to do just that.  We
>wimped out with the mast poking above the tower but starting to tilt
>precipitously because the mast was help 9 feet from the end (10 feet of
>gin pole above the tower) and was thus off-balance.

Terry,

Having survived an accident under just the conditions you mentioned but
with a 20' mast. I would consider the following options. I assume you
are trying to lower this mast through a thrust bearing hole.

1) Get a special heavy duty (longer) Gin pole made so you can get above
the center of gravity on the mast you sre raising. I have heard of guys
using one or two sections of Rohn 25 as a gin pole ubolted to the side
of the tower as a gin pole. Done right this is climable.

or

2) Take off only the top section of the tower. Lower the mast inside the
now much larger opening. Put top section back on and pull mast up thought
the the thrust bearing.

or

3) Take the whole tower down and start over with the mast inside the tower.
might take a couple of days but it is actually the safest approach.

I put a horror story out on the refelector about a week ago in where
I almost lost a finger in trying to do just what you were doing
when the GIN pole failed. BE CAREFUL. The welding thing sounds tricky
and you wont be able to replace the galvanizing when your done.

Good luck

Dave
N0DH/7