Last Two... Contest Experience

Subject: Last Two... Contest Experience
From: fred.kleber.STV@igate.sprint.com (fred.kleber.STV@igate.sprint.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 22:28:01 1995
As I sat combing my assigned band for mults I came across a rather
humorous situation involving the infamous "last two".  A semi-rare DX
station was besigned by CONTEST and DX junkies.  Feeling a bit
overwhelmed, he was going by the "last two".  I'll pick it up from here
with direct quotes:

DX:     "QRZ CONTEST DX1BIG, last two letters"

US:     "Uniform Uniform"

DX:     "Uniform Uniform you're 5-9 oh seven"

("UU" was actually a two by one US call ending in "U")

US:     "Whiskey Kilo Zero Uniform, You're 5-9 oh four"
        (Not the real call)

DX:     "Whisky Kilo Zero Uniform Uniform 5-9 oh seven"

US:     "No, no!  Only one Uniform" (gives call again)

DX:     "Whisky Kilo Zero Uniform Uniform 5-9 oh seven"

US:     "NO, NO!! Only one Uniform.  You asked for the last two and
        since I only have one letter I decided to double up to crack
        the pileup!"

I split a gut laughing and inadvertently emitted my approval of
the contest chili in the shack.  (Blended well with the smell of BO
and hot amplifiers in the stale air!)  Guess this goes to show that
 "last two" doesn't always work as advertised.  My reaction
accurately summarizes my feelings on "last two", unless it's the
last two 807's I drink before I pass out...

73 de Fubar
Canine Victor Victor (Last two real letters actually the same...)