AA2DU CQWW SOA Score

Subject: AA2DU CQWW SOA Score
From: aa2du@netcom.com (aa2du@netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 12:23:21 1995
I agree with KR2Q and others: score reports belong here. I
love reading the comments of others! So, here goes:

                CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1995

      Call: AA2DU                    Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Unlimited

      BAND     QSO      ZONES COUNTRIES

      160       36        9      27
       80      246       18      74
       40      157       22      73
       20      976       37     121
       15      667       27     118
       10       56       14      32

     Totals   2138      127     445  =>  3,377,660

Well, this one certainly was a surprise!  Conditions were not
nearly as poor as the WWV would have led you to believe. I guess
a few days of low A and K indices make for some good times.
We had a horrendous thunder storm on Friday night/Sat morning
that came through at about 3:30 AM.  The anemometer on the tower
showed steady 60 mph winds for about 15 minutes. This coupled
with the lightning jumping around the site and the thunder and rain
static made it a real chore to stay on the air. I almost pulled
the plug for a while and then figured what the hell...everything
is grounded. No better way to check if that stuff works, after all!
At one point, I thought I heard/saw/felt a spark discharge along the
ground buss on the back of the bench...good stuff!!

I had one hour on 15 meters that had the last 100 QSO rate on CT up to
190 or so...not bad for the US during a sunspot low.  That's the highest
rate I've ever seen while I have been operating Single-op...a real thrill!
As everyone knows, 20 meters was a real blood-bath...the hell with this
contest free zone crap...the band isn't big enough as it is.  I had a
few run ins with some net-yahoos, even though I was 2 KHz away from
their little party, and THEY were splattering onto my clean run frequency,
they had the nerve to ask, and then DEMAND, that I move. I politely asked
them to check the noise blanker setting on their HW-101's and continued
to run JA's.

C'est la vie! (French for "get a real receiver")

Equipment Description:

PC: Yes, with CT9 and DVP
Radios: 2x FT-1000d
Amps:   2x Alpha 87A
Ants:   160=  dipole at 90 feet (no beverage!)
        80=   4-square vertical array, ground mounted with a few miles of
radials
                dipole at 85 feet
        40=   402CD at 75 feet, fixed on Europe
        20=   Telrex long-boom 6 element at 90 feet
        15=   Telrex long-boom 6 element at 100 feet
        10=   Telrex long-boom 6 element at 110 feet

J.P. Kleinhaus, AA2DU  ARRL CAC hudson Div. Rep.
E-mail:              aa2du@netcom.com
Compu$erve:  74660,2606

It's not a bug...It's a feature!