2 Antenna Queries

Subject: 2 Antenna Queries
From: Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM (Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 17 15:55:00 1995
     On November 17 Steve KC2X wrote:
    =20
     >QUESTION #1
     >=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
     >When I see a calculated number for the impedance of an
     >antenna (specifically, I'm thinking of the numbers generated
     >by a Yagi-Uda modeling program), it generates tables of numbers=
 that=20
     >look something like: "41.00 + j2.25". =20
     >From the software doc, I see that the "41.00" number is the
     >Radiation Resistance (I'll call it "Rr").
    =20
     >Now, I've seen the definition of Rr, and I understand that
     >the higer the Rr, the more power the antenna is radiating.
     >Presuming that I have this fact correct, I then wonder this:
     >if I model another antenna, and it's Rr is calculated to=20
     >be: 19.29 -j8.34, does this mean that it is accepting only
     >about HALF of the power of the first antenna?  In other
     >words, does antenna #1 have a 3dB advantage right off the
     >bat, even BEFORE the gain is calculated?
    =20
    =20
     Steve, it's important not to confuse the true radiation resistan=
ce of=20
     an antenna with the real part of its input impedance. I am no ex=
pert,=20
     but from what I remember, the radiation resistance is the real p=
art of=20
     inverse ratio of the maximum antenna current to the voltage at t=
he=20
     point where the current is maximum. A good example is a half-wav=
e=20
     dipole, if you feed it at its center, the input impedance is aro=
und 73=20
     ohms resistive. If you feed the same 1/2 wave dipole from the en=
d, the=20
     input impedance will be some awfully large number which depends =
on the=20
     thickness of the wire - probably 2000 ohms resistive or somethin=
g like=20
     that. Now just because you feed it at the end, doesn't mean that=
 the=20
     gain goes up by 10*log(2000/73). Assuming you achieve the same c=
urrent=20
     distribution with the end feed as center feed, and you shove the=
 same=20
     amount of power into the antenna thru proper matching, the radia=
ted=20
     power will be the same. So what of the radiation resistance? Act=
ually,=20
     I think (it's been a while) it's going to be 73 ohms in either c=
ase.=20
    =20
     Actually, glancing at Kraus - "Antennas, 2nd Ed." it looks like =
a good=20
     definition would be the total power radiated divided by the squa=
re of=20
     the current maximum, although I think the precise definition may=
 be=20
     probably a little more esoteric than that. =20
    =20
    =20
     >QUESTION #2
     >=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
     >This question concerns how to model LARGE vertical stacks of=
=20
     >antennas.
    =20
     >I have read somewhere in the dozen or so antenna books I
     >have laying around here that there is a sigificant difference i=
n the=20
     >patterns between, say, a four-high stack of Yagis which are all=
 fed=20
     >in phase with equal lengths of=20
     >feedline, and the same four-high stack which is broken up into,=
 say,=20
     >the top two antennas fed in phase, and the bottom two antennas =
fed in=20
     >phase, and then the two feedlines which
     >result in those phasings being fed in phase.
    =20
     >As I said, I've seen reference to that fact that there's a
     >difference, but I've never seen any examples of what those
     >differences might look like.
    =20
     >When stacking antennas, the Yagi modeling program I use asks fo=
r the=20
     >height of each antenna (of course) but also the
     >current in %, and the phase relative to "antenna #1".  It=20
     >seems to me that this is the area of the program that would
     >be manipulated to come up with the "stack of stacks" answer,
     >but I have not got a clue as to what to tell it.
    =20
     >I should have studied harder in school, and been an
     >engineer.
    =20
     >Thanks for your help.
    =20
     >73,
     >Steve KC2X
     >ssacco@mcimail.com
    =20
     >** I love the smell of hot amplifiers in the morning!=20
     >   It smells like....VICTORY!      **
       =20
     If there were no mutual coupling, i.e. your yagis were ideal bla=
ck=20
     boxes, you wouldn't have a problem - you could feed the stack ei=
ther=20
     way with the same result. The gotcha in the whole equation will =
be the=20
     mutual coupling between antennas, and between antennas and groun=
d.=20
     Sounds like your modeling program accepts a certain current phas=
or for=20
     each antenna, but it may not tell you how to achieve that curren=
t when=20
     you hook these things together. In other words, say you want the=
m all=20
     in phase with equal current. When you model it, its easy, you ju=
st=20
     tell the program 1.0 @ 0=F8 for each antenna, and you get a pret=
ty=20
     picture on the screen. When you climb the tower and hook those e=
qual=20
     lengths of coax to the yagis, and connect them to your ideal pow=
er=20
     splitter (-6dB @ 0=F8 per leg) the story changes. Because of mut=
ual=20
     coupling the driving point impedance of each antenna will probab=
ly be=20
     different. This means that if each antenna is fed 1 watt from th=
e=20
     power divider, the feedpoint currents relative magnitudes and ph=
ases=20
     will depend upon the relative magnitudes and phases of the drivi=
ng=20
     point impedances. If you get lucky and each antenna turns out to=
 be 50=20
     + j0 (fat chance) then reality will closely match virtual realit=
y. If=20
     on the other hand, one antenna is 100 + j0 and the other is 50 +=
 j0=20
     (even fatter chance) because of mutual coupling, then one antenn=
a (the=20
     50 ohm antenna) will be excited with twice the current of the ot=
her=20
     (the 100 ohm antenna). This is all theory of course! The reality=
 is=20
     that you have a big tower with stacks and I have a pine tree wit=
h an=20
     inverted-vee. So much for theory!
    =20
     I hope this helps. If not, pretend I am nuts and ignore everythi=
ng I=20
     have said.
    =20
     73 de Mike, AD4VH
    =20
     P.S. I studied hard in school. Take my advice, you did the right=
=20
     thing!   =20