VE4GV SS PH LP

Subject: VE4GV SS PH LP
From: rkaufman@magic.mb.ca (rkaufman@magic.mb.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 20 22:44:00 1995
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

      Call: VE4GV                    Country:
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator
Low Power
      Sent: # A VE4GV 72 MB

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80       31       62        -
       40      521     1042        -
       20      927     1854        -
       15      137      274        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   1616     3232       77

               Score:  248,864

Power Output: 150 watts     Hours of operation: 22

Equipment Description:
Yaesu FT-1000 (150 W)
KLM KT34XA @66ft 40-2CD @72ft
486DX33 CT9 DVP

Post Mortem:
First Rule: NEVER give up.
After a hot couple of first hours on 20 m/ 40m , I became
disgusted with the low bands during the first night, especially
80. Shut the rig off early and got some sleep. Big mistake. Its
SS, you gotta fight the temptation to quit early. You'll see
why, later.

Woke up Sunday at 6:45 am local time and had one hell of a
great time. Could not believe some of the runs as the rate
counter went nuts. I didn't hear Derrick VE4VV so I guess I was
the lone serious contester from VE4 land. It made a big
differnce ( Derrick is a good op, but he prefers CW and leaves
the SSB to me (TNX Derrick !!)). Many stations claimed I was
their last section for the sweep and I told em to think about
me when they are sipping their favorite beverage from their
mugs.

Highlites:
-Rates on 20 and 40.
-Actually being able to grab an occasional frequency from some
of the B power stations
( Sorry AA5BL).
-Randy K5ZD works me late in the test and likes my score.
-Many a thank you from stations regarding me being final mult
for sweep.
-XYL keeps 2 yr old daughter from shack for MOST of the
contest.
-Coming within 50 qs of my personal best at a time when
propagation is supposed to suck.
-Tnx to Bruce for going to VY1JA for SS phone. I worked VE8EV
first anyway.
( Now Bruce knows what it is like to contest from up here in
the northland. Perhaps he can write about it in NCJ)
-Surprised at the numbers of "94/95" checks I received and
numbers of YLs.
-Not too much bitching by non-contesters regarding use of
frequencies in the test. ( At least I didn't hear much, but
then again look at my 80 m q totals)
-Happy with results considering I didn't use a 2nd radio.

Lowlites:
-Rates on 80. I miss the 10m novices sooooo much.
-WE9V works 981 qs on 80.(!!??!!) RIGHT !!! and 2 el at 168' is
a practical antenna for my city lot --NOT--
-Fried my voice during the first day by trying to stay on 20 as
much as possible before going to 40. Screaming into the mike
doesn't help, but neither does repeating your check number 10
times -> NO, it's Seven-Toooooooo. It is masochistic trying to
run with LP on 20 m at this part of the cycle.
-My 80 M  inv. vee stinks.
-Harmonic still too young to log, xyl refuses to cook for
contests and Dominos doesn't understand why I won't answer the
phone or the door.
-XYL still doesn't understand why I can't "take a few breaks
once in a while" to visit with harmonic.
-K1AR and CQ need to put out a video for wives/husbands of
contesters.... are you listening John ?
-Definitely will need to use 2nd radio soon if I want to be
taken seriously.
-Reading the results and finding that NN5T and NA5S beat me by
24 qsos. AARGH. Shoulda stayed on for that extra hour and 20
mins on Saturday night.
-Knowing that SS only comes once a year ( its my favorite !!)

Tnx to all. You guys ( and gals) really made it fun.
CU next year
Rob VE4GV