3B8/N6ZZ CQ WW CW RESULTS

Subject: 3B8/N6ZZ CQ WW CW RESULTS
From: N6ZZ@aol.com (N6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 6 17:18:26 1995
                               CQ WW SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 25-Nov-95, 26-Nov-95

    Callsign Used : 3B8 / N6ZZ
         Operator : N6ZZ

         Category : Single Operator, All Band

 Default Exchange : 59939

             Name : Phil Goetz
          Address : 225 Pine Drive
   City/State/Zip : Southlake, TX  76092   USA
          Country : Mauritius

        Team/Club : Southern California Contest Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   80CW       71                 71             197         48          22
   40CW      653               644           1902         77          32
   20CW      981               961           2845       102          35
   15CW     2306            2208           6582        111          33
   10CW      363              354           1019         79           24

 Totals     4374              4238         12545        417         146

    Final Score = 7,062,835 points.

QTH of 3B8CF
Radios:  TS-850, Alpha 76
Antennas:  10-15-20:  A3 at 45 feet
                 40:  2-el at 40 feet
                 80:  Inverted vee (sort of), apex at 38 feet
                160:  SWL only
Computer:  Ancient laptop w/ TR Log

      Continent List  1995 CQ WW CW - 3B8/N6ZZ

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     4   271   363   680    53   1371
  VE calls    =      0     0     2    23    33     0     58
  N.A. calls  =      0     1     5     7    12     5     30
  S.A. calls  =      0     0     5    10    12     4     31
  Euro calls  =      0    31   296   410  1345   238   2320
  Afrc calls  =      0     8    14    19    21    20     82
  Asia calls  =      0    21    30    77    75    33    236
  JA calls    =      0     1    16    47    22     1     87
  Ocen calls  =      0     5     5     6     8     0     24

  Total calls =      0    71   644   962  2208   354   4239

A few comments:  Blew fuse in Alpha during first hour.  Had forgotten to pack
spares.  Lost about 15 minutes finding one.  No idea why it blew.

160:  Got the 80 meter inverted vee to load with the 850, but nobody could
hear me.  Eventually decided my time would be more productively spent
elsewhere!

80:  Not enough room for a true inverted vee.  Had to fold ends in a weird
way to keep the antenna on the property.  Didn't do much of a job competing
with QRM from Eu.  The only time that guys called me were when I was trying
to work a multiplier and didn't want them to call!  Never could get a run
going.  Worked W1KM around 02Z and 3 W6s around 15Z.  No zone 4.  Some line
noise.

40, 20: No particular comments.

15:  May have stayed here too long, but this was the Bunny Band:  It just
kept on running and running.   Several hours in the 170s.

10:  The north-south propagation sure helps when it's Europe that's located
to the north.  Kind of made up for the dismal experiences of 80 and 160.  All
U.S. QSOs were made between 15Z and 17Z the first day.  I think I tried the
second day, but no takers.  Mostly zone 5s, a few zone 4s, no zone 3 QSOs.

The call was a killer.  No way was I gonna sign it after every QSO.  If I
had, it would have cost me 300 QSOs.  My call contains three times as much
information as EA8EA's, and if I didn't surround the "/" with spaces, guys
just wouldn't get it.  In any case, the dupe rate was just over 3%, and even
if I had just signed my call, I would occasionally work a dupe on the next
QSO.  Go figure!  I work guys even if the computer says he's a dupe.

Operating time about 46 hours.  I found pileup management extremely tiring
this time.  Perhaps it was because when others had propagation to me, there
weren't too many other options available to them, so they all hung out at my
pop stand.  I occasionally needed to operate split so that guys could hear
what station I was responding to, but there is a risk of co-mingling with
somebody else's pileup----which happened a few times.

Hope you guys enjoyed working 3B8.  Wish that I had worked a 3B8---I also
missed zone 39 on 3 bands.  By the time I remembered that I needed to pick up
those pesky multipliers, it was too late---everybody, including my host, was
asleep.  That little oversight cost me over 100,000 points!

QSL to N6ZZ at address above---be patient, I'm getting photo cards printed.

73, Phil, N6ZZ