A CW Confession - Call for Suggestions

Subject: A CW Confession - Call for Suggestions
From: N1CC@aol.com (N1CC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 00:39:21 1996
Bill:

There have been quite a few comments in regard to your note!  Many are from
folks
who are very good CW Ops... and the comments have been positive.  However,
 there is one point that most miss ... a point that I used as an
undergraduate at UTD.

The ability to copy code quickly depends on YOU reaching two plateaus:

1.  You no longer "count" dits and only hear a discrete sound that you
immediately
know as a character.  This usually begins to take place at 13-16 wpm.  It's
that
speed that most people can no longer concentrate on "counting".  This is in
part
a cognitive process that relates to Short Term Memory ... much like a
computer
buffer, your mind accepts information into a "disk cache" that has a "link"
to Long
Term Memory (Where you have filed the equation "di di di dah = V").  When you
are still "counting" you actually load most of the alphabet from LTM into STM
"break the code".  Because this becomes a serial process it takes a long
time,
just like it would in a computer.

and,

2.  Your need to make a "record" copy by writing or typing becomes either not
a noticible process or more precisly automatic.

There is one way to get the bottom-line process to work, and that is to
achieve
what is called "Transferance".  Transferance takes place when an cognitive
task becomes a reflex action.  YOU can get transferance to take place today.
Here is how to make it happen:

Bill, you say you have mastered 20 WPM.  If you can give this method an
half hour every other day for a month you can dramatically increase both your
"hot receive without writing it down" and your "ability to record to
keyboard".

Some of the folks have pointed out...learn to record it on your
computer....DO
that, it will help you Log in a contest..... however, for the next month I
want
you to follow the following Regimen:  (You will need a good source of fairly
accurate constant speed plain text morse code)

Week 1 Day 1:  At 20 WPM LISTEN ONLY for 5 minutes, don't try to write it
                         down or record it.  Then COPY at 15 WPM for 5
minutes...
                         PRINT EACH LETTER, THEN CIRCLE THE LETTER.  Then
                         LISTEN at 25 WPM for 5 minutes.   Repeat this one
time = 30 Min.
Week 1 Day 3:  Do Week 1 Day 1 again
Week 1 Day 5:  Do Week 1 Day 1 again
Week 1 Day 7:   At 25 WPM LISTEN ONLY for 5 minutes, don't try to write it
                         down or record it.  Then COPY at 20  WPM for 5
minutes...
                         PRINT EACH LETTER, THEN CIRCLE THE LETTER.  Then
                         LISTEN at 30 WPM for 5 minutes.   Repeat this one
time = 30 Min.
Week2  Day 2:  Do Week 1 Day 7 again.
Week2  Day 4:  Do Week 1 Day 7 again
Week2  Day 6:  Do Week 1 Day 7 again
Week3  Day 1:   At 30  WPM LISTEN ONLY for 5 minutes, don't try to write it
                         down or record it.  Then COPY at 25  WPM for 5
minutes...
                         PRINT EACH LETTER, THEN CIRCLE THE LETTER.  Then
                         LISTEN at 35  WPM for 5 minutes.   Repeat this one
time = 30 Min.
Week3  Day 3:  Do Week3  Day 1 again.
Week3  Day 5:  Do Week3  Day 1 again
Week3  Day 7:  Do Week3  Day 1 again
Week4 Day 2:  NOW lets type into your computer/typewriter at 30 WPM for 10
                        minutes.  IF you type 80% or better  start the
formula again at
                       five WPM bumps for another three weeks.  ADDing to
each
                       session an extra 10 minutes typing at the speed 5 WPM
slower
                       than your "circling" speed.

Now you will ask why .... tranferance happens best when the STM is busy.  If
you are circling letters you are adding an unrelated motor action to your
task.
This keeps you from thinking about other things besides what you are doing,
and allows the STM stack to set up a better link to LTM.

I have used this over the years in teaching code... it always works if you
follow
the routine and REALLY want to improve your speed.  I have had it work with a

74 year old (an SK now) who went from Novice to Extra in less than a year
with no prior code knowledge, and with a 7-year old.

Please give it a try!  73, Jim N1CC (http://users.aol.com/n1cc/index.htm)