PRB-1, DXers, Contesters and ARES

Subject: PRB-1, DXers, Contesters and ARES
From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)
I agree with the general intent of the message that we should be more
active in the disaster relief and ARES functions, having the kind of
stations that most of us do.  Even a modest contest-capable station is
probably head-and-shoulders better than most!

However, don't expect to just show up on frequency and make the most of
your effort.  It's necessary to have at least a passing acquaintance with
the procedures and protocols associated with traffic handling or other
emergency work.  No matter how loud you are, you can still be more of a
hindrance than a help if you are ignorant of basic procedure.  I think
many of us can learn it quickly, but it's much harder "in the breech".

First, get a copy of the ARRL Operating Manual.  There is a lot of good
info in there about how to handle traffic and net operating...no, not THAT
kind of net.

Second, check into your local ARES net (usually on 2-meters on a local
repeater) or Search-and-Rescue organization net.  Try out the state
emergency nets on 75-meters.  Just get a little more familiar with how
these are run, you don't have to sign up to be net control ;-)  If you
check in semi-regularly, even monthly, you'll also start to recognize
calls and they yours.  Just finding out where the nets ARE is a step in
the right direction.  Then write it down and put it on a slip of paper in
your wallet or purse.

A little bit of knowledge will go a long way in an emergency.  The
investment in time is usually minimal.

73, Ward N0AX