Mobile Noise 1995 Ranger (cont)

Subject: Mobile Noise 1995 Ranger (cont)
From: k4sb@ix.netcom.com (Edward W. Sleight ) (Edward W. Sleight )
First of all, would really like to thank all of you who have responded
with hints. Will summarize when finished.

To recap, vehicle is a new 95 Ford Ranger with 2.3 engine. Antenna is
mounted right off center of a burnished aluminum across the bed tool
box. Rig is TS-50 fed right off the battery. Hustler antenna.

Problem: Extreme EMI S8-9

Accomplished so far. (1) had interference filter installed by dealer at
fuel pump in tank. Result, -2-3 S units. (comment: that fuel pump gets
its DC from bus with neg and positive terminals which are merely push
on clips. Nearly scared me to death. If that sucker ever takes a hit
which would knock one of the clips off, I pray I am out of gas at the
time. (2) have grounded the tool box everywhere. (3) installing grounds
from engine to frame.(note: you would not believe some of Ford's
grounds. pressure clips with good braid pushed over PAINTED surfaces.

NEW questions, and please comment on any of previous. While I was at
the Ford dealer, I showed them a few hot spots ( using the old trusty
hand held transistor radio. Alternator was one of worst offenders.
(grounded that sucker today to main frame. Dealer mentioned that the
Mustang has a shielded alternator. Now main question; Would it do any
harm to substitute components made for a different vehicle. (assuming
they would mount properly) And does anyone know of a commercial group
who specialize in "quieting"? The ignition system is pretty well out
of the question, but, assuming it had common mounts and wiring, could
you substitute a "quiet" alternator? One of the other major sources
is the air intake filter housing. ( it's got some little device in it )
Would it do any harm to wrap the cable assemblies with aluminum
tinfoil, grounding them along the way. You wouln't believe Ford's
ground system ( got a complete schematic of the electrical system. They
run a ground or grounds to a common point, where other grounds are
hooked in, ect, until finally the ground the wire. Picture a Christmas
tree with no needles and you have a good idea.

Sorry this so long, but thanks for reading.

73, Ed, K4SB