Phone Sprint: Time for a Change?

Subject: Phone Sprint: Time for a Change?
From: Bill Fisher, KM9P" <km9p@akorn.net (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
At 08:09 PM 2/4/96 -0500, you wrote:
>My conclusion:  Not only does this contest SUCK from the east coast with those
>hours and these sunspots, but the QSY rule creates pure bedlam on 75 phone.
>You've got a bunch of agressive contesters jumping on a whole range of
>freqs from 3815 to 3875 causing havok with the good-ol' boys...and this is one
>contest where you dont stand a chance if you take the time to ask if it's in
>use.
>
>Sorry.  I think it's a nice, challenging idea for a contest, but it's
>implementation needs a hard look.  You can get away with a lot of this stuff
>on CW without too much grease, but on phone it's just out of control.

I'm as crazy about contesting as anyone, and I will have to agree with this
message from KF3P.

1.  75M SSB from 0000z - 0600z is full of guys that meet there every night
of their lives.  They aren't changing their ways.  If anything, fighting
with a bunch of contesters gives them something new to talk about.

2.  40M SSB during this same period is about an inch from useless.  Foreign
broadcast is unbelievable.

3.  20M SSB for 3/4 of the 11 year cycle dies at 00Z here.

West coast Phone Sprinters:  Would it totally ruin the contest for you guys
to start it at 2000Z ??  Move it to 2100Z or 2200Z when the spots return?
I'm not suggesting the CW Sprint change.  It's not broken.  SSB Sprint is.
Ya, ya... records and all of the that... But how many people really have a
good time in a phone sprint the way it is now?