Sprint from the end-zone

Subject: Sprint from the end-zone
From: k7ss@aloha.net (k7ss@aloha.net)
Date: Sun Feb 4 21:37:41 1996
>>>Howdy from Maui,
>>>
>>>A last minute decision to do the NA Sprint SSB from Hawaii found me  at the
>>>Maui AH6AZ SUPERSTATION with my little 706 and a battery, connected
>>>to a 5 element yagi on 20 and a full size 3 element 40 yagi!!!!
>>>
>>>No headphones, no boommike, no filters, no reading glasses, no
computer...just your basic miniature xcvr no frills 4 hour contest.

>>>Even though the station is beyond power lines, there was a s5 inverter noise
>>>coming from somewhere in the neighborhood. It was s9 on 40 and only a
>>>handful of signals made it over the top of the noise.
>>>
>>>Could not read my scratching in the logs without my spex, so excuse me if
I called you twice (or more) Started on 20 .. the band sounded empty with
the exception of those alwaysloud no matter where you are..K6LL, W0UA, N6HC,
K7UP and ALL the FIVES.
>>>Band must have been under solar attack, never heard any w1-2-3!!
>>>
>>>First hour was a respectable 80 Qs, but this was not going to be one of the
>>>classic NA weekends! after mining the second layer for the next hour, i went
>>>to 40..and the inverter!
>>>
>>>Found out it was a HAM neighbor, so ran over to his house and told him
>>>the problem, which was instantly fixed...ran back to 40 and started peeling
>>>off the biggies...gotta say W9RE was AMAZINGLY loud! as well as N6HC
>>>K6LL VE7NTT and ALL the FIVES..  never heard W1-2-3!  flare??
>>>
>>>Ended the test by trying to work ANYONE on 75. Moved W0UA to 3854 and
>>>heard him pleading with some ragchewer that he had a quick sked and would
be gone in a flash...and then proceeded to take a good three minutes trying
to hear my report!  SOme great comedy !! "Ill be gone in just a second..
>>>Danny whats yur number???   your number???  HANG ON..I'm going...
>>>your number???..."  saw that my full size loop was only getting about 10
>>>watts into it, but he was still hearing me (great ears)  he got my number
as 217 and it was 218 (leave a hole in the log)..   went off freq and tuned
and now had a full 100 watts at 6pm local in Hawaii trying to crack the 75
meter QRM/QRN on the mainland... did manage 8 Cal QSOs and WA OR and MT, and
found W0UA and confirmed "218"

>>>Net 228 Qsos
>>>706 is NOT a contest radio, but does well in a pinch
>>>First domestic contest with NO w1-2-3, (except the first week of NR in 1959)
>>>
>>>See you on CW, with NO inverter, and WITH earphones and filters
>>>
>>>Aloha
>>>
>>>Danny K7SS/KH6

Danny Eskenazi and Diane Leveque
"k7ss@wolfenet.com"