WRTC '96 Q&A (Long)

Subject: WRTC '96 Q&A (Long)
From: AA6KX@aol.com (AA6KX@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 5 03:11:40 1996
Introduction:  WRTC `96 will happen this coming July 10-15 in the
San Francisco Bay Area.  This will be a major event in the
unfolding history of amateur radio.  We expect that hundreds, if
not thousands, of people will be involved in WRTC in some
capacity.  This Q & A has been developed to try to anticipate the
most likely questions people will have about the event.  While
this document has been prepared specifically to assist the people
who will be traveling to the San Francisco area for the event,
others who will not be coming may find useful information here as
well.  This is being distributed for informational purposes only.
Further information can be obtained from W6OAT, Publicity
Chairman for WRTC '96, at epps@netcom.com.

GENERAL:

Q:  What is the calendar of events during this period?
A:  Some of the events are still being planned and will depend
    at least in part on the level of funding we receive.
    Nevertheless, we do have a well-defined outline of events we
    can present now that should be a useful guide:
    Tuesday, July 9:  Judges arrive in San Francisco area and
        occupy their living quarters.  On Tuesday evening there
        will be a dinner for the judges together with the WRTC
        organizing committee.
    Wednesday, July 10:  Competitors arrive during the day and
        occupy their living quarters.  An informal outdoor
        welcoming party/Bar-B-Que beginning at about 6 p.m.
        will give the competitors a chance to become acquainted
        with each other and with the judges. This party will be
        open to all who want to attend.
    Thursday, July 11:  In addition to socializing around the pool
        at our headquarters hotel, there will be several organized
        trips to acquaint our visitors with both radio and
        nonradio highlights of the San Francisco Bay area.  These
        will include a bus tour of San Francisco itself, plus a
        visit to Ham Radio Outlet, Force 12 Antenna Research and
        Design Center and Factory and a computer superstore.  In
        the evening there will be a dinner in the East Bay open
        to all.
    Friday, July 12:  The day will begin with a breakfast and
        discussion period for competitors and judges.  This
        will be the opportunity for the competitors to ensure
        they have a full understanding of the rules of the
        event and to ask any questions of the judges.  After
        the breakfast, the competitors will be assigned to
        their host stations and given the callsign they will
        use for the contest.  The competitors will then move to
        their stations.  The remainder of the day will be free
        to the competitors to set up their equipment and test
        their stations.  Competitors may want to stay overnight
        at the station, since the contest will begin at 5 a.m.
        (local time) the next morning.
    Saturday, July 13:  WRTC Competition begins at 1200Z and
        continues until 0600Z.  Logs must be submitted within
        10 minutes after the conclusion of the contest.
    Sunday, July 14:  Sunday will be a day of relaxation,
        including a long, lazy lunch/afternoon social event to
        unwind and swap contest stories.  The official awards
        banquet will be held Sunday evening at the Stanford
        University Faculty Club in Palo Alto, where we have
        room for 325 attendees.
    Monday, July 15:  The Redwood Empire DX Club is organizing a
        day-long tour of Napa Valley wine country north of San
        Francisco for competitors, judges, and their guests.
        This will include a ferry ride across the Golden Gate,
        visits to two wineries, and a gourmet outdoor lunch at
        which local visitors will also be welcome.  Participants
        will be returned to our headquarters hotel no later than
        7 p.m., and will be free to have dinner as they wish.
        This will conclude the scheduled activities for WRTC 96.

Q:  I'm a competitor [judge] and just can't take that much time
    away from work.  When must I be there in order to
    participate?
A:  Clearly, we would like to have both judges and competitors
    here for the whole event.  WRTC is much more than just a
    contest; it is a rare opportunity to build new relationships
    and rekindle old ones.  Where this is not possible, though,
    we must still require competitors to be here at least from
    the Friday morning breakfast through the Sunday evening
    awards banquet.  Judges should contact K4VX to make
    arrangements if they can't be here for the whole event.

Q:  What is the cost?
A:  One of the guiding principles the organizers have followed
    is that expenses of judges or competitors should be minimal
    from the time they arrive in the San Francisco area, per the
    above schedule of events, through the Monday winery tour and
    their return to the airport for the trip home. We can
    arrange a host family for each judge and each competitor who
    requests this, and the host family will provide living
    quarters at no charge.  Likewise, we can provide local
    transportation for judges and competitors to attend the WRTC
    events.  Most meals will be provided at no cost for judges
    and competitors.

Q:  I'm a competitor [judge] and I want to bring my family or
    friends with me.  What is the cost for them?
A:  We are still in the planning stage on this issue and our
    final plans will depend largely on the level of funding the
    organizers can obtain.  It is probable, though, that we will
    charge an amount equal to our costs for guests of judges and
    competitors and for all other visitors to at least some of
    the events.  For example, we expect to charge $30 for each
    person attending the awards banquet who is not a judge, a
    competitor, or a member of the organizing committee.  The
    major costs for judges and competitors in bringing guests
    with them will be in housing and transportation.
    Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide housing and
    cannot guarantee that we can provide local transportation
    for those judges and competitors traveling with family or
    friends.

Q:  If the WRTC Committee can't provide housing or if I prefer
    to stay in a hotel, then where should I stay?
A:  We have made arrangements with a centrally-located hotel to
    set aside a large block of rooms for WRTC attendees and to
    guarantee a favorable rate.  We expect this hotel will
    become the central site for many of the informal gatherings
    during WRTC.  The hotel was recently refurbished, has a
    brand new restaurant and bar, and has a beautiful swimming
    pool and patio area.  The guaranteed rate is $42.95 + tax
    for one person or $48.95 + tax for two persons.  This hotel
    is the Motel 6 at 1101 Shoreline Rd., Belmont CA 94002.  For
    reservations, call 415-591-1471 or FAX 415-593-6415.  When
    you call, be sure to identify yourself as a WRTC attendee.
    The block of rooms they have set aside for WRTC will only be
    held until May 15, so be sure to make your reservations
    before then.  July is the height of tourist season in San
    Francisco, so hotel rooms will be at a premium at that time.

Q:  When I make airline reservations, do I have to fly into San
    Francisco?
A:  There are three major airports in the San Francisco bay area
    and all are within reasonable commuting distance.  Besides
    the San Francisco International Airport (approximately 15
    minutes drive from the WRTC hotel), there is also the San
    Jose Airport (about 25 minutes drive) and the Oakland
    Airport (about 40 minutes drive).

Q:  What kinds of problems with my equipment can I expect when I
    pass through U.S. Customs.
A:  There is no restriction in the United States on possession
    of radio equipment or computers.  If your equipment
    accompanies you on your travel, then it will simply be
    treated the same as your other personal gear.  You will have
    to contact U.S. Customs for further information, though, if
    you intend to ship your equipment separately.

Q:  I'm a competitor [judge], flying by myself, and will need
    somebody to pick me up at the airport.  Whom do I contact?
A:  The chairman of the Housing and Transportation Committee is
    Dick Dievendorff, AA6MC (email at dieven@almaden.ibm.com or
    U.S. Mail at 1211 Janis Way; San Jose, CA 95125-4050).
    Dick's group is coordinating all volunteer housing and local
    transportation assistance.

Q:  I'm a competitor [judge].  What information do you need from
    me?
A:  The most important piece of information we need is how to
    contact you most efficiently!  If you have an email address,
    please make sure we have it on file.  As we proceed with our
    planning there will inevitably arise more questions we will
    need to ask.  Likewise, we will want to keep you updated on
    any changes.  The information we most need from you right
    now is related to capacity planning.  Will you be here for
    the whole event, or just a part?  Are you bringing guests
    with you, and will they be attending the events? Do you need
    us to provide housing and local transportation for you?  Do
    you have any special needs we should know about to help us
    better plan your stay?  Please let us know your plans.  You
    can send this data to Dick Dievendorff, AA6MC, at the
    address listed above.

Q:  I'm neither a judge nor a competitor.  What do I do when I
    get to the airport?
A:  First of all, we may still be able to help.  Check with
    AA6MC.  You may wish to consider obtaining a rental car;
    there are several agencies at each the airport.  If  you
    know where you're going (e.g. the WRTC motel), you may wish
    to take one of the group limousines.  These are minivans
    which carry up to 10 people and will take each person to his
    destination.  These vans pass regularly through the airport
    drop-off area and can be identified by their distinctive
    signage.  At the San Francisco airport, look for Blue and
    Gold Line.  The cost is only a fraction of the cost of
    taking a taxi cab.

Q:  What kind of weather should I expect?  What kind of clothing
    should I bring?
A:  The San Francisco bay area is famous for its microclimates.
    The temperature in most of the bay area will be in the low
    80's F (27-30 C) during the day and down to the low 70's F
    (21-23 C) at night.  The city of San Francisco is often
    windy, foggy, and up to 15 degrees F (8 degrees C) cooler
    than the surrounding bay area.  An evening temperature of
    55F (13C) in downtown San Francisco is very likely, as is a
    daytime high of 90F (32C) in the surrounding bay area.  You
    will need to be prepared for rapid temperature swings like
    this as you move from one area to another.  The probability
    of rain in July is near zero.  Expect to see deep blue sky
    with very few clouds.

Q:  Whom do I contact for further information?
A:  Following is a list of the primary organizers together with
    their email addresses.  All are good in the Call Book.  If
    you are a competitor or judge and your question pertains to
    your own individual situation, you should expect a prompt
    response to any question.  If your question is regarding a
    clarification of the rules of the competition, then we will
    not respond to you directly but rather will circulate your
    question and our response to all the competitors.
    Bruce Sawyer, AA6KX (AA6KX@aol.com) and Bob Ferraro, W6RJ
        (rferrero@hooked.net), Co-Chairmen
    Rusty Epps, W6OAT (epps@netcom.com), Publicity
    Dave Leeson, W6QHS (0005543629@mcimail.com), Finance
    Dick Dievendorff, AA6MC (dieven@almaden.ibm.com), Housing &
        Transportation
    Andy Faber, AE6Y (AE6Y@aol.com), Events & Entertainment
    Bob Cox, K3EST (K3EST@netcom.com), Technical (i.e., the
        competition itself)
    Bob Vallio, W6RGG (wsixrgg@crl.com), Station Selection

STATIONS:

Q:  As a competitor, when can I start working on my station and
    what can I expect?
A:  We plan to assign station sites to competitors by random
    drawing at our meeting on Friday morning, July 12.  It is
    our goal that the stations will be as nearly alike as we can
    possibly make them.  Each station will have a tribander at
    40'-50' and an inverted-V or dipole for 40 meters.  You
    should expect to find two coax cables terminated with PL259
    male connectors waiting for you, one connected to each
    antenna.  The tribander will have a rotator and the coax
    should be in good shape.  We do not want the competitors
    doing any antenna work.  If you detect problems with your
    antenna installation during the check-out period on Friday,
    you should immediately contact one of the judges rather than
    go to work on it yourself.  Competitors are specifically
    prohibited from going outside and erecting their own
    antenna.  In addition to the coaxes, you will have 110VAC
    outlets with USA-standard plug receptacles.  If you plan on
    bringing equipment which requires a different voltage, you
    should contact the Chairman of the Technical Committee ahead
    of time to discuss it.  This person is Bob Cox, K3EST.  Bob
    can be reached at K3EST@netcom.com.

    Competitors will bring all of their own rigs and their own
    computers.  You will be allowed to have one and only one
    radio designated as the transmitting radio; a second radio
    may be used for listening only.  You may not use information
    from either VHF or HF spotting networks, so don't plan on
    bringing your own packet system.  You will probably want to
    bring your own paddles and headphones.  In addition, you may
    wish to have your own antenna switch, but note that you may
    use only a single SPDP coax switch.  If there is any of this
    equipment you would like us to provide you, please contact
    K3EST ahead of time with this information.  For instance,
    you may want to bring your own keyboard but have us supply
    the computer and monitor; you may want to bring your own
    computer but have us provide the monitor.  Many things are
    possible, but they will require advance arrangements.  In
    the absence of any such arrangements, you should expect to
    see only two coaxs, the rotator control, and some 110VAC
    outlets.

Q:  How much variation will there be among the different
    stations?
A:  The WRTC Station Selection Committee is doing everything it
    can to ensure all of the stations are of equal capabilities,
    but we do realize the impossibility of having exactly equal
    stations.  All of the stations will be located on flat
    ground, without any topographical advantage.  All of them
    will be within about 40 miles of each other and all will be
    in the bay area.  We will test each location beforehand for
    line noise and other noise interference.

Q:  When will I know the callsign I will use in the competition?
    How will that callsign be selected?