HAM II ROTATOR REFURBISHING

Subject: HAM II ROTATOR REFURBISHING
From: ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM (ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 6 10:41:24 1996
I recently purchased the subject rotator for light duty use and am
in the process of fixing it up.  It works fine and all of the voltages
check out per the Hygain manual.  I have some questions I'd like to pose
to the gurus.
  1.  What kind of grease/oil would you use? The manual only mentions
      cold weather grease and does not indicate a manufacturer or any
      other specs.
  2.  The eight position barrier strip on the bottom of the unit would
      appear to be a source of reliability problems.  What can be done
      to improve the cable connection to the rotator?
  3.  The manual recommends Belden 8448 control cable but does not mention
      the type of all weather connector that should be used.  Recommendations?
  4.  What is the best way to keep Mother Natures mighty hand from using
      the control cable as a means to enter the shack and create havoc?
I figured that if anybody could help me with these questions, it would
be the contest group. Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

PS.  I did find out that one should disassemble one of these jewels upside
down.  It took me almost an hour to locate the 48 ball bearings that hit
the floor.  Thankfully, the other 48 stayed in place.

Thanks,
Wayne  KC5DVT    ehayes@vnet.ibm.com