SSb Sprint problems

Subject: SSb Sprint problems
From: David C. Patton" <mudcp3@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (David C. Patton)
I agree with KM9P and KF3P and KM0L and everybody else lamenting the
difficulties of 80M during the SSB Sprints.  However, as N7AVK says
we shouldn't give up our ground to miscreants.

I think the nature of the SSb Sprint is dealing with 80 Meters.  To
me, it is much the same as battling for space on 20 SSB.  Very
difficult.  Actually, I will take 80 M SSB in the sprint over 20 SSB
in CQWW any day.

However, I would certainly support Ty's idea of a 15, 20 and 40 meter
contest that used the times from 2000-2359Z.  This is pretty good
timing for all concerned, especially the west coast, avoids 80 meters
and presents the same type of propagation difficulties we experience
already--such as long propagation on 20 and 40.  Except 15 takes over
for 20 and 40 for 80.  In the midwest we can't work much other than
the coasts anyway.  At least we would have a shot at working some of
our locals during these times.  This year I couldn't hear any locals
on any band.

Another suggestion for the present maladies is to spread out across
the band a little more.  Both 40 and 80 we presently seem to use only
about 25 KHz of the band.

73, Dave Patton, WX3N
mudcp3@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu