Towers in the Seattle area

Subject: Towers in the Seattle area
From: Dan Norman KJ1N <dnorman@niwot.scd.ucar.EDU> (Dan Norman KJ1N)
On Wed, 7 Feb 1996 K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> customers put up a 75 foot crankup, TH11DX and 2L 40M beam after a 15 minute
> visit to city hall - no engineering stamp or anything.  If you're interested
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> in more info, give me a call at 206-485-7913.  BTW, Snohomish county is more
> liberal when it comes to tower construction (I live in Snohomish county) and
> it's only a few miles north.
>
> 73, Steve  K7LXC

Steve,
I was wondering if other County/City permit-granting agencies required
this engineering stamp.  I submitted an application for a 35' guyed tower
to Boulder County Land Use Dep't. and received a phone call from a
planner stating that I needed to have the ROHN engineering specs.
approved by a licensed PE or have him generate specs of his own.  This
requirement from what I can tell is new and obviously intended to
discourage hams from installing unsightly towers in beautiful Boulder,
CO. Due to recent litigation that made it's way to Federal District
Court over a proposed variance (special use review process) here seems to
have really made it difficult to install any tower period.
I need to ask anyone out there who had to meet this requirement to let me
know of any lower-cost solutions that have been acceptable to County or
City Land use agencies.  Please reply directly.

'73 Dan KJ1N/0
Boulder, CO