Towers and regs

Subject: Towers and regs
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 8 10:51:51 1996

>I have an older Wilson 77 ft. crankup - tube type tower .
>I've heard comments on crankups being on the no no side
>but haven't understood the concern.  (maybe it's something
>I do understand but don't violate?)
>--
>73 Robert  WB5CRG  w5robert@blkbox.com

Robert, howdy --

   Your Wilson crankup is a nice tower and aesthetically pleasing as well.
 The main negatives for crankups as I see them are:  the cable is the weak
link in the chain ( they break) and you can't climb them to work on them when
they are extended.  A crankup has its applications for many back yard
installations where neighbors are a concern (keep it cranked down until you
use it) or where you don't have room for guy wires.  A guyed tower is less
expensive cost-wise but not everyone can put one up. Windload-wise, crankups
are commonly rated at 50 MPH or down-rated at 70 MPH.  You will have a
problem getting a building permit for most crankups because they won't meet
the UBC regulations for wind speed rating (typically 80 MPH.)

   Enjoy your Wilson and do some PM on the cable, winch and pulleys at least
once a year and you'll get more reliable use out of it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

     "Up The Tower"   now appears in CQ Contest magazine