Comparison TS-870 & IC-775

Subject: Comparison TS-870 & IC-775
From: Steven Sample <aa9ax@iglou.com> (Steven Sample)
Had a little fun in the CQWW 160 CW multi-op'ing with NJ9C at his QTH.
We put several radios on for comparisons, including A-B receiver tests, etc.

I've recently noticed several people trying to get comparisons, so...

Mine is not scientific, but it's SHORT!

The 775 has the 870 beat hands-down in the receiver department.  It's the
traditional problem Kenwood seems to always have - a high noise floor and
apparently wider skirts on the filters.  The 775 is a much quieter radio,
and the filters are crisp and clean.  The 500 hertz filters in the 775
provided more rejection than the 400 hertz filters in the 870.  There
were other little nit-picky things that gave the 775 additional "edge"
over the Kenwood, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to determine the
most pleasant radio to use in a contest.

Steve / AA9AX