Cushcraft 40-2CD

Subject: Cushcraft 40-2CD
From: nt5c@easy.com (John Warren) (John Warren)
|I do not agree that cushcraft antennas are not strong. Even the 40-m2. I know
|a friend who has this antenna in a very high wind area and the antenna are OK.
|EA3NY
|Eddie Stark
|
|Eddy,
|The Cushcraft HF antennas are made out of the lightest materials of any HF
|antenna manufacturer here in the States. As far as the 40-2CD antennas
|surviving strong winds in your area, when you speed in your car, you don't
|always get a speeding ticket do you?
|Steve  K7LXC

I have to agree with Steve. The 40-2CD is a superb antenna - electrically -
but the driven element on mine is already bent 10 degrees due to a Central
Texas squall line (still seems to work fine though). Looking back, I should
have incorporated the mechanical strengthening suggested by W6QHS and
others before putting it up. I would recommend those mods to any new users,
except in the easiest of environments. Too bad Cushcraft couldn't build
them in - then the 40-2CD would be a SPECTACULAR antenna!

John, NT5C.