Linn County Ordinance

Subject: Linn County Ordinance
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)
At 07:51 PM 2/12/96 -0800, al crespo wrote:
>        Praise the Lord the Linn County Tower Ordinance applies only to that
>county!
>         If you read the document, there is NO mention of the special status
>of Amateur Radio under PRB-1. Commercial towers do not have the same special
>status that amateurs have under FCC guideline- this ordinance never
>differentiates  between the two totally different types of classes.
>        For those in need of help concerning tower ordinates, contact the ARRL-
>        Or was this ordinance really an early April Fool's joke?
>
>                                Aloha, Al, WR6R/KH6

Al, I think you have it backwards.  At best, PRB-1 and the public service
arguments for amateur radio help to correct our fundamental weakness, which
is that this is a hobby.  Local authorities see little reason to cut hams
any slack -- particularly if our towers are perceived to infringe on others'
rights.  But the Linn County ordinance puts ham towers in the same category
as cellular telephone towers and all the other commercial installations,
which bring jobs, money and services to the community.  I would fight hard
to retain that linkage.

73,

Pete Smith N4ZR (n4zr@ix.netcom.com)