crankup caution (fwd)

Subject: crankup caution (fwd)
From: ramirezk@emi.com (ramirezk@emi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 17:07:19 1996
I almost passed out just by reading this story. Whew...
I have heard other horror stories resulting in Death from
K3LYW,owner of United States Towers. You would sell your
crankups if you heard some of these.Ken KP4XS/W4

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, "Rich L. Boyd" <rlboyd@CapAccess.org>
wrote:

>Rich Boyd KE3Q

everyone!)

>After the contest, I was asked to retreive the halogen lamp,
and decided to climb the
>crank-up. I didn't even have a climbing belt (WAS I STUPID!),
but 30ft wasn't that high
>to an enthusiastic teenager......Whilst undoing the lamp's
fastening with one hand,
>and holding on to the tower with the other, the top and middle
sections of the crank-up
>collapsed about 2 feet into the bottom section.
>
>I was violently jerked, and for a split-second was left
dangling with one hand firmly
>crushed in-between two sections, and blood proceeded to gush
out and run down the tower
>leg. I nearly passed out, but somehow managed to hang on with
my "good" hand. Unbenown
>to me, someone had tried to wind the mast down, and it had
become jammed, but about 2 ft
>of wind-up wire rope slack had been released, and when I
climbed to the 30ft mark, and
>jerked the sections, dowm came the mast, thereby trapping my
hand and severely damaging
>my fingers.
>
>What was annoying was the fact that the "team" hadn't noticed
anything was wrong, and it
>took some considerable time to alert them that a serious
accident had happened (one guy
>came to the bottom of the mast to see if he could help, and
passed out as blood poured
>over him!).
>
>I could only be released by someone climbing the mast with an
iron bar, and forcefully
>lifting the top two sections in a crowbar fashion. I had been
essentially trapped at the
>30ft level, and had lost lots of blood, and then had to climb
down with one hand! When
>I got to the bottom, feeling giddy and weak (faint!), another
HERO passed out when he