Ground conductivity in the desert

Subject: Ground conductivity in the desert
From: snace@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov (Steve Nace) (Steve Nace)
I am appealing to the theorists out there that may have an opinion or two
regarding soil conductivity and its effect on the vertical angle of
radiation for horizontal antennas.

Living in southern New Mexico offers less than 8 inches of annual rainfall.
The soil is sand and rocks. I have been told it is the WORST soil anywhere
regarding conductivity. I would really like to hear from you guys in
Arizona, Nevada, West Texas, Colorado, etc. etc.

Question 1) Is there documentation out there already specifically
describing and analyzing soil conductivity vs angle of radiation? If so,
where?

Question 2) In your opinion, would there be any benefit in building a
man-made ground plane under my towers? If so, what would you use and how
big would you make it?

Question 3) Do you feel ground conductivity is a factor in the 'attraction'
of lightning?

Question 4) Perhaps the most important queery, does it really matter since
the ends wouldn't justify the means?

Please respond directly. Thanks in advance.

73 de Hose KN5H