KT-34A/KT-34XA Wind Survival

Subject: KT-34A/KT-34XA Wind Survival
From: btippett@ctc.net (Bill Tippett) (Bill Tippett)

K7LXC wrote:
>   The KLM KT34A is a reasonable performer.  The wind survivability is 100
>MPH so your  concern should be with the supporting structure and not the
>antenna.  BTW, Hy-Gain antennas are rated at 100 MPH while the Cushcrafts are
>rated at 80 MPH.  According to my Atlas, you are in Niagra County which has a
>relatively low TIA-222-E rating of 75 MPH.  Your installation should be built
>with this spec as the minimum criteria.

For your info, I had a KT-34XA at 100 feet for over 11 years in Colorado with
multiple 100+ MPH Chinook winds each year.  When I took it down, the only
damage I saw was that a few of the plastic capacitor spacers had cracked.
Performance was great (it still holds the USA 10 meter record for the
CQWW SSB) and it was extremely rugged in high winds.  With the shortened
linear loaded elements (about 25 feet total length), I felt it was much more
rugged than my 20 meter KLM 5 element monobander.

73,  Bill  W0ZV