Personal Heroes

Subject: Personal Heroes
From: millersg@dmapub.dma.org (Steve Miller) (Steve Miller)
WA8YVR wrote:
> A very inspiring message from Trey ...
>
> It makes me think of who my personal heroes are in contesting.  There
> are many.  Most were added to the list in my younger years.  Nowadays
<snip>
> For gentlemanly, classy, professional, stylish operating, its gotta be
> W4KFC.  Nobody else is even close.
>
> My hero for running a pileup is K1GQ.  Hearing him when he was at
> KH6RS was the best lesson I've ever had in how to transform an unruly
<snip>
> K8MFO is the best guy I've ever heard getting through a pile.  I remember
<snip>
> For seriousness and dedication its gotta be N4AR.  Who else do you

A great list causing me to reflect upon my early contesting years - I'd
like to add the late KH6IJ, who was also my first QSO with KH6. Accolades
for Nose's operating is better left for the old timers to describe as I
would omit far too much of his pre-1980 activity. The last time I worked
Nose was late one night on 20m SSB after his stroke. His speech was poor
and he was of noticably lesser acuity than before the stroke. He gave me
a 59 and I gave a 57 to 58 report (non-contest QSO). He told me to wait then
proceded to tune up his amp. He came back to me saying "I should be
louder now". The delight in his voice was obvious as I gave him a 59+
report. A few weeks later he became a Silent Key. I'd worked Nose dozens
of times in my contesting career - I'll always remember that he left the
airwaves in the true contest spirit - on the air and as loud as possible.

--
Steve Miller  WD8IXE
millersg@dma.org