Good > great > now indiffer

Subject: Good > great > now indiffer
From: Jeff Steinman <Jeff.Steinman.0247501@nt.com> (Jeff Steinman)
                      Subject:                              Time:  3:55 =
PM
2/23/96

I have been QRT from the reflector lately, but had a message forwarded to =
me that Trey sent out. I am flattered to have said something (at Dayton, =
I think) that Trey still recalls.

Without a doubt, the key ingredient to my ascencion through the ranks is =
Lew Gordon, K4VX. Yes, I had the drive and motivation to WANT to be good. =
Lew provided me (and others) with insight and many operating =
opportunities (during the last sunspot minimum) to develop my skills. =
Thank you, Lew. I would recommend to any contest newcomer who aspires to =
be better to seek out a contest Elmer. The work WX9E is doing is a great =
step in this direction.

Unfortunately I don't have that drive to radio contest these days. Lack =
of sunspots; partially. New daughter; ditto. Demanding job; that too. But =
it's more than that ........ contesting just isn't that important to me =
at the moment. Call it burn-out at age 32, Contest Shock Syndrome (coined =
by N2NT), whatever.....  I just don't have the desire to [seriously] =
operate like I once did. If you know me well this shouldn't be a =
surprise; it's been years (3 or 4 ?) since I did a serious CQWW or ARRL =
DX test from the US.

I climbed the ladder and accomplished more than I ever expected. I just =
need a breather and a new set of goals........ Low power contesting; =
maybe. SOA from home QTH; maybe. Get WM5G to rebuild his recently fallen =
tower for a serious go in a few years; maybe........

Don't let me discourage those of you that want to improve your operating =
skills. Hang in there; it will be a lot more fun as the sunspot cycle =
improves. But you'll learn many valuable skills operating through the =
bottom.

Good luck!

73
Jeff Steinman  KR0Y