How to Separate Tubing?

Subject: How to Separate Tubing?
From: Big Don <bigdon@eskimo.com> (Big Don)
On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, David & Barbara Leeson wrote:

> [...]
> If that doesn't work you are left with carefully cutting the outer
> tubing in a spiral with a hacksaw so it separates from the inner tube,
> then making up a splice with new tubing, including a piece that fits
> around the larger tube.  Or you can simply replace the larger tube with
> a new one at this point.

If the desperation level reaches the point of cutting the outer tubing,
a better way to do it is with a Dremel Moto-tool and the infamous
"dangerous disc" cutting wheel (those half-millimeter thick carbide
discs that explode if they bind up in the cut).

With this tool, you can make a straight cut down the tubing axially,
sometimes it even takes two cuts 180 deg apart, and pry it apart
sufficiently to loosen the inner tube.  The advantage is it is re-usable
with a couple of extra clamps.

The cuts can be made with surgical precision, I've even used this method
to separate aged mufflers from exhaust pipes.

Big Don