Tuner Thread

Subject: Tuner Thread
From: Del Seay <seay@alaska.net> (Del Seay)

> Tom, I have to disagree with you on this one.  I had three of the Johnson KW
> Matchboxes and all performed with the same limitations.
>
> 1)  They can't handle 1500 watts on 10 and 15 meters (and this was to a
> nominal
> 50 ohm load).  Late in a contest with high duty cycle CQing to a nominal
> Yagi they
> will unsolder their bandswitch connections.  (Why a tuner with a Yagi?  When

Sounds like the wrong Matchbox. The one they now call the KW Matchbox
was really the 250 Watt Matchbox as originally put out. Then, someone
decided that sideband voltages/currents were less than AM so they
started calling it the KW Matchbox. But - as you noted, not so!
The real KW Matchbox will handle 5 KW with ease.

The nicest part of the Matchbox was the link coupling, which eliminated
copper between outside and inside, and you'd be surprised the amount of
receive garbage that can be eliminated that way.
--KL7HF--