USA county information (was Re: Log non-counter QSOs?)

Subject: USA county information (was Re: Log non-counter QSOs?)
From: JKAHRS@delphi.com (JKAHRS@delphi.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 06:43:31 1996
On 15-MAR-1996 21:11:20.2 Richard.McAllister said to JKAHRS
Question:
   > > An humble prayer to USA friends: " Why don't you put your county,
   >printed on > your card?" A lot of times we can't resolve county and
   >worse, there is not > any way to do it.

Answer:
   > If you have full internet access, including telnet, there *is* an
   > easy way to do it.  Here's an example.  Use "help" or "?"
   > to get more information after you connect.
   > Rich
   > $ telnet martini.eecs.umich.edu 3000
   > Trying 141.213.11.44 ...
   > connected to martini.eecs.umich.edu
   > # Geographic Name Server, Copyright 1992 Regents of the University of
   >Michigan. # Version 8/19/92.  Use "help" or "?" for assistance, "info"
   >for hints. .
   > Crescent City
   > 0 Crescent City
   > 1 06015 Del Norte
   > 2 CA California
   > 3 US United States
   > R county seat
   > F 45 Populated place
   > L 41 45 22 N 124 12 02 W
   > P 3075
   > E 44
   > Z 95531 95538
   > 0 Crescent City
   > 1 12107 Putnam
   > 2 FL Florida
   > 3 US United States
   > F 45 Populated place
   > L 29 25 48 N  81 30 39 W
   > P 1722
   > E 53
   > Z 32012 32112
   > 0 Crescent City
   > 1 17075 Iroquois
   > 2 IL Illinois
   > 3 US United States
   > F 45 Populated place
   > Z 60928
   > .
   > bye
   > Connection closed by foreign host.
   > urth 1027$

Comment:

Not quite so fast...it will work for MOST but NOT ALL!  There are some folks
out there whou get their mail from an address that is not the correct
county.  They may live in one county but receive their mail through a Post
Office that is in a different county.  The USA-CA Award has become a major
award these days so a reference to a county somewhere on the card should be
in order.  Its a simple request that you can satisfy with the next printing
of your QSLs  ... or just write it on till then.

73, Hank/K2UVG
USA-CA #285 endorsed All Counties Mobile to Mobile
All Counties Second Time Award #172
jkahrs@delphi.com