Rotators for 2 stacked 15/20m yagis / [YAESU COMMENT]

Subject: Rotators for 2 stacked 15/20m yagis / [YAESU COMMENT]
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 14:15:45 1996

>Back to the clamp, it is a strange set-up but I was very carefull to follow
>there directions in centering and tightening.  Specifically, tightening is
>just barely past finger tight and I can well imagine that some guys torqued
>the $@%^%#$ out of the bracket.

Hiya, Victor --

   Well, yes and no.  My complaint is that they use cast aluminum in the
first place instead of steel ala Hy-Gain and M2.  I did break the ear off the
mast clamp of the first Yaesu rotator I installed so on the second one I was
more careful.  That one didn't break but it wouldn't hold the mast so had to
something to do with it.)   The wind torque forces on medium and large-sized
antenna installations can be tremendous and asking anything mechanical to
hold a round object (mast) with those kind of forces on it is asking a lot.
  "Barely past finger tight" won't cut it in any installation that I'm
involved in.

    Don't get me wrong, I like the clam-shell design; it'll take any sized
mast but think that the choice of materials was more of a manufacturing cost
decision.  Believe me, as a past National Sales Manager for Amateur Products
for Hy-Gain by Telex, I am acutely aware of manufacturing costs and their
impact on amateur products.  I would rather Yaesu had either 1) charged more
for a real live steel clamp or 2) made one available as an optional extra.

73 and thanks for your input,   Steve   K7LXC