CAC recommends DXpeditions count for club scores

Subject: CAC recommends DXpeditions count for club scores
From: David_B_Curtis@ccm11.sc.intel.com (David_B_Curtis@ccm11.sc.intel.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 09:19:52 1996
>>Ahem.
>>
>>A note of reality here gentleman.  Does it ever occur to anyone that
>>permitting DXpeditions to count towards club scores (as the CQ WW has
>>done for as long as I can remember) will generate more expeditions and
>>thus make the contest more enjoyable for everyone?
>>
>>Just to let people know that there isn't a conspiracy of elites behind
>>everything ...

Right on, Pat

>>   -- Pat
>>      WA8YVR

>This discussion has been going on for sometime. During the discussions, I
>had not seen any comments regarding the exclussion of the Local club class.
>It does have some merit and might well be discussed. The ARRL contests have
>three club clasifications, whereas the CQ contest have one over-all club
>group. Let this run for a year or two and see if it skews the local club
>standings very much.

remember -- there are probably some guys hoping that it *will* skew the club
standings: the guys in local clubs that want to put on DXpeditions.  Skew is not
necessarily a bad thing.  In the final analysis, all contest rule changes are
debates over what is "good skew" (helps me, helps the contest) and "bad skew"
(hurts me, hurts the contest).

>All-in-all, this looks like it will promote more
>Contest DXpeditions supported/sponsered by clubs and we all win.
>73, K8Joe"Palooka"
>palooka@pyrotechnics.com

Let's face it: *ANY* change to the rules of a contest is disruptive (I'm a
hard-core VHF "independent Western Rover" -- so don't get me started on
disruptive rule changes...).

But you will annoy just as many local clubs if you *don't* let them put on a
DXpedition.  It is one way for a local club in the midwestern black-hole to even
the playing field, have some fun, and have a good excuse to take the XYL on a
warm vacation away from the winter snows.  Why should they be cut out of the
fun?

Here are some rule change filters:

Filter #1: Don't change contest rules unless careful and thorough examination
convinces you that the change is a signficant improvement.

Filter #2: Keep the rules as simple as possible.  (ie: big and small clubs
should not have gratuitous differences in what they are allowed to do.)

Filter #3: Don't speak for the other guy -- don't make assumptions about what he
wants -- ask him!  (ie: if you're not a member of a local club, don't try to
tell them what they want.  I'm not, so I won't.)

73, Dave NG0X  CM87xi  NCCC
    RealName(tm)       BigClub(tm)
    RealCall(tm)