Tower paint etc.

Subject: Tower paint etc.
From: wb2k@ritz.mordor.com (John A. Ross, IV)
Date: Sat Mar 23 10:07:42 1996
>Among the possible examples cited by the judge was painting
>the tower so it would blend in with the surrounding forest.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this?   Specifically
>can I make this suggestion in good faith?  I am looking
>for information on tower paints (other than ORANGE and WHITE)
>that would hold up on a galvanized steel surface and wouldn't
>hamper my safety and ability to climb the tower.

I'm no authority on this, but I do have a suggestion based purely on
personal experience.

About five years ago I got a tower that was in great shape structurally,
but suffered visually because the original onwer used a steel mast that
rusted. The dripping brown water coated the top section and made it look
real ugly. I was able to find (via an industrial supply house) a cold
galvanizing paint in convential 1 gallon cans. It worked great and that one
gallon went a real long way. (Good thing...it was $65!).

Of course it was light-grey, but I can't see any reason you couldn't add a
bit of tint to make it either tree-greenish or sky-bluish. It went on easy
with both a brush and mitt.

A few words though...

You'll need a power-drill type mixer. The embedded metals (zinc, etc) sink
to the bottom and you'll never mix them enough with the ole wood stick.

Becuase of the metal and chemicals in this stuff, the supply house said NJ
had recently outlawed it for future consumer sale without permit, but he
believed it could still be purchased in PA. I luckily got his last gallon.

If you do find it, it's great stuff, and has found many uses on outside
hardware here, radio or otherwise.

Good luck and 73,
John
John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2QRZ [Zone 2]  (wb2k@ritz.mordor.com)