More Power

Subject: More Power
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 10:13:38 1996

>Let's get a bit of perspective on this "5kW is shocking" strand. It's easy
>to forget that the differency between 1.5kW and 5kW is less than an S-point.
>Those contest stations which some people find so offensive, booming in at
>S9+40dB with their 5kW, would only drop to S9+20 if they switched the PA off
>and ran a barefoot 50W.

While what you say would be true IF S meters used a six dB per S unit
standard, they don't. That "standard" is not now, and never was a standard.
It was something one manufacturer tried to use after WW2 and then later
abandoned!

Going from 1.5 kW to 5 kW is, in reality, almost two S units!

Most S meters are 3-4 dB per S unit. Check out the alignment section of any
modern transceiver, and you'll see this is correct. Perfectly aligned, nearly
every radio falls between 3-4 dB per S unit. A few radios are also
intentionally mis-calibrated on the dB scale!

When testing an antenna, remember the actual difference is often half what
that lying excuse of a meter says!

73 Tom