S Units

Subject: S Units
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 1 19:00:08 1996
Hi Bill,

>I beg to differ. I believe that S-meter circuits are calibrated in terms
>of VOLTAGE rather than power. That would make the difference between 1.5KW
>and 5KW equal to 10.45dB(V) or 1.74 S-units.

That's a common misconception Bill. Beg all you want, one dB of voltage
change is 1 dB of power change, look at the formulas! A 3 dB pad provides a 3
dB voltage, current and power loss.

S meters show larger than expected increases because  6 dB is NOT an S unit.
That figure never was an industry wide standard, and certainly isn't today.
Almost every rig is 3 to four dB per S unit when properly aligned. And even
the dB end of their scales are usually wrong.

Remember three dB is three dB, with either voltage, current or power. It's
one of those rules that work funny but save headaches.

73 Tom