CW will go next

Subject: CW will go next
From: David_B_Curtis@ccm11.sc.intel.com (David_B_Curtis@ccm11.sc.intel.com)
Date: Tue Apr 2 10:03:56 1996

>  Only hope is
> CW tests will be replaced by some technical tests with real teeth to act as
> a way to keep our bands from becoming as did the CB bands, completely lawless
> and world wide, as in Indonesia now.
>
>Jim,  AH6NB
>jreid@aloha.net

Yes, Jim!  I've been saying this for a long time.  I've never bought into the
"CW will keep out the riff-raff" argument.  I'm teaching a license class now,
and CW is not causing fear among any of my students.  If we truly want the tests
to do a "gate keeping" function (and for reasons of political impact some may
argue that we do not, in order to increase our numbers)... but if we want to
erect a suitable barrier to entry into "the club" then it ought to be in the
form of a theory exam with meaningful content, along with periodic retesting on
state-of-the-art technology.  I would be happy to submit a few DSP questions to
the question pool.

BTW - I am not kidding - this is my real opinion - the above is not a joke.

*** flame shields up ***

73, Dave NG0X
NCCC CM87xi
david_b_curtis@ccm.sc.intel.com