4-1000 Info Please?

Subject: 4-1000 Info Please?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 4 10:27:10 1996
Hi Brian,

>An offer to purchase a beefy single 4-1000 amp has come my way.
>With suitable power supply and cooling (which it allegedly has)
>what is (roughly) the RTTY capability as well as SSB/CW?

It depends on how hard you want to push the tube. Thoriated tungsen filament
tubes can take a fair amount of abuse, and in amateur service you'll likely
never notice the shortening of life unless the temperature of a critical
areas (like seals) go beyond a certain limit. A 4-1000A could provide 2000
watts or more of CW or SSB PEP output without damage even during contest
operation.

I've know people to run a single tube at 3kW+ PEP out on SSB.

The biggest problem is drive power and stability. The 4-1000 is "hard to
drive". In grounded grid, the 4-1000 needs a lot of plate voltage (over 5000
volts) to get decent gain. At 5000 volts, expect to drive the tube with
120-140 watts to get 1500 watts out! Expect a "hard to drive" amp unless
there is a a lot of high voltage.

With anode voltages above 4000 volts, the tube gets pretty unstable. The grid
leads are very long, so the PA can develop parasitic oscillations below 90
MHz. The closer the oscillation to the operating frequency, the harder
parasitics are to cure. The 4-1000A is one of the most unstable tubes I can
think of, besides 811A's and 572B's. .

>What about replacement costs?

That's where a 4-1000 shines. Cost is cheap, even if  finding a good tube is
more difficult.

Even though IMD products won't be as good as with tubes designed to be used
in grounded grid, but they'll be very livable if you tune the amp correctly.

>(I don't wish to violate Part 97, just run RTTY conservatively)

A GG 4-1000A won't violate part 97 unless the HV is *real* high or you have a
FT-1000 driver! It also won't run RTTY conservatively at 1500 watts because
the plate dissipation is only 1000 watts. At 60 percent anode efficiency (if
the PA can manage that) the tube will be right at it's limit on RTTY and
glowing a pretty orange color!

73 Tom