Contest Exchanges

Subject: Contest Exchanges
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Sat Apr 6 00:05:49 1996

>Why do DXpeditions give us signal reports (usually 59/9)? Don't
>some awards, maybe even DXCC (I don't know) require a signal report?
>Since the vast majority of participants in the CQWW do not submit
>their logs, we can assume working DX is a big part of the event.
>Perhaps meaningless signal reports have meaning, perhaps they
>are obsolete as part of DXing as well as contesting.

I believe the traditional QSO must consist of exchange of callsign and
one other piece of information. It does not have to be a signal report.
DXCC rules state that the confirmation submitted must include callsigns
of both stations, the country, mode, date, time and frequency band. The
rules don't mention a signal report as required. In VHF contests we use
grid squares and don't usually even send a signal report.

I do think the "599" handed out by DXpeditions tends toward being just a
formality, most people are honest enough though to really make sure both
sides copied the other's report, even if it's the expected "599".

Maybe the first 3 letters of our middle names? Most callbooks only give
one initial, so it would be harder to look up.

Zack W9SZ