Why QRO arcs?

Subject: Why QRO arcs?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 9 12:12:18 1996
Hi Mario,

>Theoretical peak voltage on sinus driven amplifier is TWICE the power supply
>DC voltage (including less than 180 deg. conducting class C configurations).

That is true only for a properly loaded tank, or class A amplifier Mario. The
design parameters are definable, but complex, for peak voltage in an unloaded
tank in an amplifier with less than 360 degree conduction angle. Remember the
tube is a variable resistance that "tugs" the tank circuit, it does not
source energy or voltage. The tank voltage can easily overshoot the design
anode voltage in amplifiers with conduction angle of less than 360 degrees.

When you get a moment, sit down with a high power FET, a bias supply, a
parallel resonant tank, and a RF generator.

With 12 volts on the drain of a MRF 150, biased at the class A side of class
B (185 degrees of conduction when properly loaded), I can measure 100 volts
of drain voltage with an unloaded tank. I think the "two times rule" comes
from oversimplification that the tube is somehow an energy source instead of
a time varying resistance in series with a diode, and that failure to
understand the conduction angle shortens as the load is removed.

The anode voltage not only overshoots the supply by more than double in the
positive direction, the anode voltage can actually over shoot zero and go
negative for part of the cycle, decreasing the conduction angle!

This is a whole chapter in a book to explain, but the test example is easy to
build. Make no mistake about it, the *peak* tank voltage can easily be more
than double the anode supply voltage in a mistuned amplifier. I have no doubt
at all about that.

>>But PSU DC voltage might be higher in
>the cases of unregulated power supply and exceed capacitor arcing threshold.
>Detuned output circuit gives even less power with a devastating dissipation!

The actual QC acceptance voltage breakdown of the cap in the 220 was 3500
volts peak, allowing a tank voltage swing of 7000 volts peak to peak. If the
two times rule was true, the capacitor would never be able to arc!

>S5/K4XU told me once: SB-220 is an excellent example of properly engineered
>QRO with optimally selected RF components!

Absolutely!! Everything is as small as it can safely be be for the job it was
intended to do. There is no one single weak spot. The 220 is EXCELLENT
engineering. An example of poor design would be use of a switch rated much
more than the voltage of related components. It's wasted money.

>If ones needs * several times * DC supply voltage like in TV horizontal PSU,
>sharp and hard pulse driving is required to excite inductor with high dI/dt
>ratio and then peak turn-off voltages go sky-high!  We expierence that when
>fast switching relay coils and therefore add protection diode OR capacitor!

Try building the FET test example. It's simple and non-destructive. Only for
full class A is the supply voltage the limit of tank input voltage swing.
With any class less than A, overshoot is possible. Overshoot increases as
conduction angle is decreased. The two times rule only applies to a properly
loaded tank, or a class A amplifier.

73 Tom