Contesting and the Internet?

Subject: Contesting and the Internet?
From: devans@lynx.colorado.edu (D. R. Evans)
Date: Sat Apr 20 10:21:08 1996
On 19 Apr 96 at 22:36, frenaye@pcnet.com <frenaye@pcnet.com> wrote:

> Both CQWW and ARRL have no problem with a PacketCluster network being
> connected to the Internet as part of the normal interconnectivity of
> electronic worlds.

Astounding.

> CQ's policy goes on to say that you can't spot yourself (no self
> promotion), and that you can't be directly linked to the Internet.  That
> means you can't have your own PC connected to the Internet to access
> someone else's packet node(one of the many available these days).  Under
> ARRL rules direct links to the Internet are permitted.

But you can link to your next door neighbour, to whom you have loaned a
PC for the weekend, and that one is connected to the Net. Right?

> Whether a direct connection is something that gives anyone a real
> advantage is another question.  I didn't ask but assume that an Internet
> connection to a "live" receiver isn't permitted under either set of
> rules.

I'm not sure that any assumptions are safe, given that the fundamental
one that Net connections are not allowed has turned out to be incorrect.

Your note brings loads of very nasty issues to mind regarding
enforceability and what devious people could get away with. Since there
is no logical difference beteen a packetcluster and any other piece of
software, there doesn't seem to be anything to stop one simply
installing an IP switch in a box and connecting through that; after
which one could use the Net however one liked during a contest. You
won't catch me operating in any contests where this is allowed.

D.R. Evans NQ0I / G4AMJ : devans@lynx.colorado.edu
                          al019@freenet.uchsc.edu

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://spot.colorado.edu/~romigj/drevans.html