elevated guy posts

Subject: elevated guy posts
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 22:10:23 1996
Lots of interesting threads on this--everyone's situation unique!  I have
110' Rohn 55 in a fairly tight location--two guy points only 53' from the
tower.  I needed to clear a garage and (obviously) move the effective base
out as far as possible.  The tower is guyed at 50 & 100' (the move to 55 from
45 enabled the elmination of the 3rd guy set which would have made side mount
rotation in this tight setting impossible).  Using the home (not farm) set up
at W0AIH as a model, I used double wall 8" seamless pipe--13' long for the
two short guy points.  Holes were dug 5' deep, 3-1/2' square, and filled to 1
foot below ground which will allow torching off and filling.  Ground is heavy
with rocks.  I  painted, prior to planting, with best available anti rust
paint after welding 1/2" bar on the top  with 1/2" holes for Rohn jaw/jaw
large turnbuckles and one extra hole for the tensioning come-along.  The pipe
is so strong that there was no need to do anything but make them straight and
fill the top foot or so for water protection.  They looks great and have
withstood 85 MPH winds with about 30 sq ft antennas/mast without a shudder.
 (20' chromolly mast at top--4' in, 16' out).  The 13 footers weighed about
425# and were surely a trick to get straight and in the center of the holes,
but it was worth it.  My PE friend said I'm in good  shape.  John, K0IJL