Vicar and Fi Nine

Subject: Vicar and Fi Nine
From: ae327@lafn.org (Richard Norton)
Date: Thu Apr 25 21:04:37 1996

Recently there was a posting that discussed my use of,
"Nine Yankee Four Vicar Tango."

Use of two non-standard phonetics or words can reduce
wear on the tongue that might be significant when the
standard phonetics or words might be repeated thousands
of times.

These include use of:
1) Vicar instead of Victor
2) Fi instead of Five, particularly in Fi Nine

Notice that if you clearly enunciate either "Victor"
or "Five," your tongue rubs up against the back of the
teeth in the front of your mouth.

I happened to look at my tongue in the mirror after a
48-hour phone contest, and saw the outer edges of my
tongue were bleeding and looked like they had been rubbed
with hacksaw blades and files.

This caused me to analyze what happened to my tongue as
I spoke. I then looked for things to pronounce that both
conveyed the information and kept my tongue in the center
of my mouth, away from the sharp tooth edges. The above
suggestions are the salient results of that effort. Use
of them has eliminated tongue abrasion.

This is the reason to use "Vicar" and "Fi."

The referenced posting was connected with signing one's call
after every contact, and may have incorrectly implied that it
is something that I personally do, or support doing.

However, call-signing is another topic - for another time.

73,

Dick Norton  N6AA     ae327@LAFN.ORG