Loos Tension Guage

Subject: Loos Tension Guage
From: Tom@utd.com (Tom@utd.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 04:30:22 1996
Hi Stan,
 From a mechanical engineering standpoint, let me point out a few things
that may help you keep on the right track in your persuit of proper
tensioning.

>For those of you who either own one or have the literature, you can see
that
>it does not measure tension in the cable directly.  Rather, it measures the
>diffculty involved in putting a slight kink in the cable.

You are not exactly correct here. This is called "deflection measurement",
there is no "kinking" involved. It simply measures how much force is
required to move the cable a given distance perpendicular to its own axis.

  >This will be
>proportional to the tension in the cable, and, if done correctly, can give
>you an idea of what the tension in the cable is.

You are, of course, right on the money here, it will give you a good "idea"
of the tension. Most hams just want to know if their guys are all tensioned
the SAME as each other, so they will probably be happy to just have a number
to compare from guy to guy.

 > Anyone who has worked with
>EHS cable and the more flexible wire rope knows there is a great deal of
>difference in how hard it is to kink EHS cable as compared to wire rope.

This is not exactly correct. It is natural to think as you do, that the
stiffness of the material in a "free state" (meaning 'not under tension')
will have a bearing on the guage reading, and it will. However, the variance
between EHS and wire rope will be much less than you think. This is because
as you increase the amount of tension in the guy it becomes "stiffer" and
the resistance to deflection due to material stiffness becomes statisticly
smaller as the tension increases because the tension is exerting more
resistance (to deflection) than the material stiffness. As the tension in a
piece of EHS and a piece of wire rope increase their guage readings will
come closer and closer together until they are nearly the same at the yeild
(breaking) point. The real question is, how much do those readings vary at
the start, with just reasonable tension.

> He said that he believed Loos tension
>guages could be used with with EHS wire but they would have to be
calibrated
>specifically for it.  In other words, the calibration charts supplied with
>the Loos guage are not for use with EHS cable.

You are correct here also.

>So it looks like what needs to be done is a calibration chart needs to be
>made by someone who has an accurate dynomometer, a Loos tension guage, and
>few towers with various types and sizes of guy wire.  Without doing that,
it
>looks like we are back to guessing . . .  Here is my guess.  I would guess
>that a Loos tension guage calibrated for 1 X 19 sailboat rigging will be
>fairly close when used on wire rope of the same outside diameter but not
>very close when used with EHS cable of the same outside diameter.

I wouldn't be too sure of this. Better do some field research.

> I don't know the
>answer to this question and maybe someone out there who does know could
>tell us?

I'm not a PE, but I do have many metalurgy, strength of materials, and
mechanical engineering courses under my belt, in addition to 22 years in the
mechanical field. I believe that the loos guage will give the average ham
good COMPARTIVE results on most cable types. For those who need EXACT
numbers, you should probably find an engineer. There are many factors
involved. Good luck and be safe.

Tom Lindtveit N2GQS
Tom@utd.com